• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Prefab at 85 moat lane yardley

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks i visited the avoncroft museum bromsgrove yesterday and to my surprise there was an old pre fab house that was once in birmingham...i cant believe just how spacious they were and i can certainly see how after the war people would be only too happy to live in one...here is the information board about the prefab that was at 85 moat lane yardley...maybe someone may know the family names who lived in this one..there is also a nice photo of mr and mr stokes taken in 1981 when the prefab was handed over to the museum..
they lived there until 1961...other familys who lived there were a mrs davies..G Taylor and the james family..

link to the museum...well worth a visit and a great place to picnic...will post a few photos of the inside of the prefab later on..

https://www.avoncroft.org.uk/

lyn

AVONCROFT MUSEUM 11.3.14 048.JPG

Last edited:
If you check the prev posts on this, you will see that I also visited that place two years ago, MY FIRST LOVE June Howell, lived in pre fab on Moat lane next door to the one there. Wonderful memories to say the least. The windmill at Avoncroft was also well worth the visit. great stuff! John Crump Parker. Colorado USA

Lyn

We were visiting the site twenty odd years ago when we used the sell them all sorts of reclaimed building materials off our jobs. They were always looking foe oak beams or anything unusual, we used to wait until we had a lorry full and then run it down there. It always made a useful addition to our holiday fund.

great memories for you then old brit...

and extra money for you phil...

rob ive been up to me neck today will get the pics on in the morning...

At Avoncroft, Another thing that I did NOT enjoy was hearing the air raid sirens! But it was very well done, brought back memories that made me glad to have survived and live to tell about it, as with many on this forum. God was truly with us! crump-rem10.jpgJohn Crump OldBrit. Parker. Colorado USA

john i enjoyed the sirens and listening to the different plane sounds and churchills speech but i can fully understand that anyone who lived through the war would not have good memories of that..so glad you lived to tell the tale

lyn

I think I told this tale once before, but this brings it all back to me. In Parker, Colorado USA I ride my bike most days on paved trail. There is a rest stop and one day I pulled in for a drink and a chap was sitting there. I started up a conversation with him. Found out he was about my age and had also been involved in bombing during WW2. BUT and this is the truth, he was born in Germany lived in Berlin. He, as nipper was bombed out by the English, he lived in an apartment house in Berlin, a British bomb went straight down the elevator shaft! blew the apt, house up to smithereens! He and his family did survive. SMALL WORLD HUH? Two old geezers with the same kind of tales to tell and lived to tell them, from different sides of the fence. We are now good friends and even have a chuckle or two about this. BUT we both agree WHAT A BLOODY WASTE OF LIFE it all was. John Crump OldgratefulBrit. Parker. Co USA

thanks mort...i think the prefab has been dont out very well..i almost wanted to stay there lol

Some missing blocked Photobucket photos from this thread recovered and perhaps they can be moved to their original posts.
Post#10
post10_1AVONCROFTMUSEUM11314054_zps78738a56.jpg
post10_2AVONCROFTMUSEUM11314055_zps9ab211da.jpg
post10_3AVONCROFTMUSEUM11314056_zps4963d0cc.jpg
post10_4AVONCROFTMUSEUM11314059_zps534ef3c5.jpg

More missing blocked Photobucket photos from this thread recovered and perhaps they can be moved to their original posts.
Post#11
post11_1_AVONCROFTMUSEUM11314060_zps5c7511a4.jpg
post11_3_AVONCROFTMUSEUM11314062_zps4208baa2.jpg
Post11_4_AVONCROFTMUSEUM11314063_zps57cce5df.jpg

More missing blocked Photobucket photos from this thread recovered and perhaps they can be moved to their original posts.
Post#12
Post12_1_AVONCROFTMUSEUM11314064_zps8d9217de.jpg
post12_2_AVONCROFTMUSEUM11314065_zps452cbe20.jpg

Post#13
post13_AVONCROFTMUSEUM11314066_zpsda0bbd83.jpg

More missing blocked Photobucket photos from this thread recovered and perhaps they can be moved to their original posts. Recovery pics start at post#17 previous page.
Post#14
post14_1_AVONCROFTMUSEUM11314067_zps4b4f4085.jpg
post14_2_AVONCROFTMUSEUM11314070_zps93ec5d3d.jpg

Can someone check about the HOWELLS that lived in #83 next door on Moat Lane to the one in Avoncrroft PleaseI would love to know if my first real girlfriend June Howell is still alive She was a bit younger than me I am now 85

Back