• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pre war Motorcycle Clubs

Hi Meldrew
do you have any info on L.Eason he took delivery of a manx norton in 1948. I think he was the proprietor of L&E Motors situated in Stratford Rd.
I have restored the bike and use it for sprints and hill climbs. I would like to find out something of its early racing history.
Old Guys Rule!
Dave C.

Hi Dave,
I have enquired among our members at the Kings Norton MCC, but only uncovered what you already know, ie. L&E Motors was on the corner of Poplar Road in Sparkbrook, next to an Aquarium shop.

As yet no one can recall L. Eason or his Norton, but we have a long standing Norton enthusiast in his eighties who may know of him, but he is away for a few weeks.

Should I find out more I will contact you.

Meldrew [Keith]

Thanks for that Mike!
I have been told by someone that they thought that the aquarium supplies were something to do with L&E Motors. It would be great if your friend comes up with something.
Regards Dave.

My husband knew Lenny Eason he went to school with him and they continued to be friends until the late 1950's. His father also a Leonard Eason had the property L&E Motors so he would have been the one who purchased the bike why we don't really know except his son wanted to be a mechanic on the racing circuit a dream that he didn't achieve to our knowledge. The Easons also owned the aquarium stores later to be a pet shop. We moved away from the area late1950's and the last we heard Len jnr had bought a Newsagents shop we think in Erdington but we are not sure of the location. There was also another brother named Leo. None of this really helps you but we don.t believe the Easons used the bike for the purpose it was intended.

In Kelly's Directory of 1949, it lists
L & E Motors (L.Eason) Motor Engs.
366, Stratford road and 1A Poplar Road.
it also lists
Aquatic Supplies
366 Stratford Road and 1A Poplar Road
Plants, Tropical & Cold water fish for pond and aquarium, everything for the angler.

Colin

Thanks for that folks!
It seems i need to find out what happened the Len Jnr after he bought a newsagents in Erdington. It seems likely that the bike was sold on, if i can contact Len he might remember what happened.
Dave C

Earlgary I see you have something thing to do with Easton family, When I was evacuated to Wale in 1939 we had for our Teacher in the village hall a Mr C.D.Easton. He would have been a Brummy so just wondering if any relation at all.
Easypn is a name that I have not come accross since those years Regards Old Brummy

Earlgary Sorry about that mistake and also thetypos Have changed page now to zoom in and aslo put my specs on Cheers and many thank for the reply Old Brummy

The Kings Norton Motorcycle Club formed in 1934, is still a thriving club.
Originally meeting at the Navigation Inn, Kings Norton in 1934, secretary was Wesley Smith.
Ron Godbehere [Ariel] winning the trial in that year ...........

I have pages and pages of events , trials, grass track meetings, TT entries, names dates etc, with a break during the war, contact me for further info.

I am a current member, and we meet every thursday night in Earlswood.

Hi, If Billy Reynolds ( Ex BSA ) is still a member of the club pass on my best regards. See the attached. Spent a lot of time at the Red Loin in the old days. Lou Dalby Ex BSA test.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/g1ulz/2366424920/in/set-72157622597337102/

May I ask a question on this thread too. I am researching Ken Miles the racing driver who lived in Sutton Coldfield then Moseley. I am trying to find out which club he was a member of in the late thirties and immediately after the war. He started racing scramble bikes I believe. I know he was a member of SUNBAC, did they have motorcycle events as well as car events? All help gratefully received. Paul

RobertS I was amember of the Mosely and District Club around 1946etc but cannot help you with much of the Prewar stuff.
Eck Hyland was one of the prewar members as was Jumbo Wright. I recall them coming along to the meetings as soon as they were demobbed . There lots of others but I do not recall all of the names Cheers Oldbrummie
Hi I amold Brummiebut now have a new name I contacted theAMCA at Cannock and found out the building they work from is called Hyland House after Eck Hyland

Hi - Does anyone know of any members of the Moseley Motorcycle club members around 1955-60? I am the brother of Brian Harris who was a member then and who knew Brian (Butch) Brown and Tony Jacques - I'm trying to get in touch with them. Tks

Brian I sent a reply by clicking on Reply tsender Windows 8 is new to me so I am not sure if my reply being sent that way but I will look in again Cheers Joe

Joe I seem to recall that reply to sender is on Tablets - If you wish to reply then the button to the bottom right is the way but if a private message then Right Click on the posters name then send a Private message. However I note that both of you have chosen to not receive private messages so will not be able to communicate privately.

RobertS I was amember of the Mosely and District Club around 1946etc but cannot help you with much of the Prewar stuff.
Eck Hyland was one of the prewar members as was Jumbo Wright. I recall them coming along to the meetings as soon as they were demobbed . There lots of others but I do not recall all of the names Cheers Oldbrummie
My father Dennis Chapman, used to motorcycle with Eck Hyland after the war (around early part of the 1950s). They were both members of the Pyramid MCC based in Aston.

One of the oldest clubs was the South Birmingham the HQ was in Greet. I have attached a picture of the Lands End event taken by my Grandfather.
Note : To see the picture click on the header. Lou Dalby.

Medel presented to John Dalby Ex BSA Test 1963.

[ame="[MEDIA=flickr]3anjD8[/MEDIA]"]LANDS END 1919 on Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]
Hi Louis, I think the motorcycle club you mentioned in Greet was the Birmingham Motorcycle Club, its clubhouse was at the end of Colebrook Road. My father Freddy Jennings was an active member and rider, and I used to go down there as a child with my parents. I think it closed down about 1981.

Back