• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pre-dating 'Saving Private Ryan'

O

O.C.

I can tell you that 7 Dugmores Birmingham born were killed in the Great War
and Four from Walsall, Derby,Lancsand Burton on Trent
If you have the relatives names I will give you the details

Joseph and Mary Dugmore of 130 Newcombe Road Handsworth lost two sons they were Samuel Gregory and Bernard Henry
Thomas was the husband of E Raven 328 Camden St.Brookfields
William was the husband of Elizabeth Dugmore of 17 Church St.Cannock
Now if some one can chase those addresses up and give me names I can tell you if we have a match with the other soldiers to finish this story then I can give you more details on the men involved

I think you are confused as to the Son-in-Law bit,  Thomas was a  Dugmore and married E.Raven
Now as I was in a rush last night I forgot to add Harry Dugmore as well his wife was Sara Ann.
Now the chap in the photo what is his name he is in the Cheshire Regt, Tall fellow 6 ft tall. intresting to note the bayonet with the hooked quillion which was ordered to be cut off soon after the war started. When Harry was wounded he was bought back home and died at home and his grave is in Witton Cemetery remembered on the screen wall 207. 45959
so now we know the five lads who's lives were lost

A couple of years ago, on the programme that precedes the Remembrance day parade on TV,I saw a piece about a mother who had five sons and 4 lost their lives.she received a letter from the king and the army brought the 5th son back home as they thought that she had suffered enough.

:angel: Hey Dave I have Dugmore's .‚..in my tree...

Married

DUGMORE Joseph.‚.. Margaret Jane .‚..
Ashton under Lyne, St Michael Tameside CE4/32/141

1901 Census

RUPERT was a "Stepson?" at175 Brick Lane Dukinfield with a Joseph ANDREWS age 21 as Head,,+ Wife Margaret age 22 & daughter Emma age 2 months
Joseph down as born B,ham,, Margaret born Stalybridge Cheshire & Emma born Chester.

( It should be Dugmore not Andrews. Found Emma under Dugmore, no Emma Andrews list born at this time).

Cheshire Birth indexes for the years: 1901
DUGMORE Emma Stalybridge Tameside STB/11/59

I believe this to be Joseph's family in 1891 cen and seems Emma was named after Joe's Mom

55,8 Oak Terr Icknield Port Rd,1,Martin Dugmore,Head,M,30,,General Laborer,Employed,Harborne Staffordshire,,
,,,Emma Dugmore,Wife,M,,30,,,Edgbaston Warwickshire,,
,,,Joseph Dugmore,Son,,9,,Scholar,,Birmingham Warwickshire,,
,,,Frederick Dugmore,Son,,7,,Scholar,,Birmingham Warwickshire,,
,,,Elizabeth Dugmore,Dau,,,5,Scholar,,Birmingham Warwickshire,,
,,,Jane Dugmore,Dau,,,3,,,Birmingham Warwickshire,,
,,,Thomas Dugmore,Son,,1,,,,Birmingham Warwickshire,,

WW.1

RUPERT Private. Royal Warwickshire Regiment. "C" Coy. 5th Bn.
Died on 22/08/1918 age 19 Buried BIRMINGHAM GENERAL CEMETERY .‚..(Key Hill)
Son of Mrs. Margaret J. Dugmore,of 21, Camden St. Parade, Birmingham.

What do you think do we have a connection ?

Chris :angel:

I think we are getting somewhere , if you have another 3 family member who were William Henry, Walter and Henry we have it all sewn up

Harry (Witton)was 55 which was quite old so he must have been first born
I take it the chap in the photo is Phillip if you say he was in the Coldstream Guards he must have been transfered from the Cheshires, The Coldstream badge is a Flaming Grenade

Rupert privat 26888 RWR as he was wounded and bought home and died at home
He lived in Birmingham born in Manchester

Two men we know gave their next of kin and address as
Joseph and Mary Anne Dugmore 130 Newcombe Road Handsworth
They are
Bernard Henry Dugmore Sgt. 8598  “B” Coy 2nd Battalion Kings Shropshire Light Infantry who was Killed in Action on the 15th March 1915 at the age of 24
He is buried at Voormezeele Enlclosure No 3 Grave Ref. 1A4
He got the D.C.M (Distinguished Conduct Medal), which can be researched further

Samuel Gregory Dugmore Lc/Cpl. 227039 5th Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment
He was Transferred from the Royal Warwickshire Regiment were his number was 267826
Died at the age of 21 on the 14th October 1918 and is buried Point-Du- Jour Military Cemetery Athies. Grave No.111, E1

So now we need to find out whom his other brothers were as I have the details on William Henry, Walter, Henry, William, and Harry but need proof before I put details up, as they might be the wrong family

I have new information that
Private F.Dugmore of the Hampshire Regiment was killed in the Battle of the Somme.
He and his brother lived at 5 back 19 Icknield Square
His brother was J.E. Dugmore of the North Staffordshire Regiment who joined up at the start of the war was wounded 4 times received Croix De Guerra demobbed 1920

Able Seaman E. Dugmore Lived at Hingeston Street Hockley survived the war
As did
Private F.R.Dugmore of the South Staffordshire Regiment who lived at 72 Crocketts Lane Smethwick

Ginny Bradshaw, maiden name Virginia Dugmore one of 4 sisters and possibly 4 brothers. Last known
sister died aged 101 about 15 or 16 months ago.  Not sure brother phillip's regiment but ginnys son paul was a guardsman (coldstream).  regret no information on brothers-in-law.  Ellen Bradshaw believed born, to quote, in shadow of winson green prison. probably moved to  grandmothers home in newcomb rd when war broke out.

???

You have some wonderful info their which I can add to as soon as the leader of the gang tells us who the brothers were

I at a loss of what to say, but as it is your family you know best as to who was a member of the family
If you do not, you can research them with all the help available here. I am willing to help but I must know if I have the right family. I do not know the state of your health or if you can check up on the family so I am a bit inthe dark, but I will help you if needed
Take Care
Cromwell

The fourth brother that was died was John Thomas Dugmore 2886 1st/ 8th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment he was killed on 23rd May 1915 his wife was Elizabeth Dugmore (nee Raven) he lived at 358 Camden St. Brookfields and is buried at La.Plus Douve Farm Cemetery VC3
One of the son-in law's who was also killed was W.B.Bradshaw Private 34642 2nd Battalion Ox.& Bucks Light infantry killed in action on 13th Sept. 1918 at the age of 19
he was the son of William Bradshaw as Next of Kin on joining up he lived at 17 Magdala Road Winson Green. Buried at Sunken Road Cemetery Boisleux St Marc

So that is all I can give you till you can come up with another name as I have another 6
that died in the Great War and 5 that survived
Try and get all their Birth Certificates and carry on from their
Happy Hunting
Cromwell

Langstraat.
Sending you a personal letter
as relative has been in touch with his E-mail address
which I will send to you. so just say if you have received it or not
Ya Mate
Cromwell

I Need to know if you got all my att. I sent you
If you are a bit confused if you have seen the att. their is a hell of a lot of info to take in and two attachments are yet to come.
The chap is writing a book on the Dugmores and wants you to get in touch
Cromwell

Well now you have got something to get your teeth into and with story of the Great War Dugmores which you started, you should have a Great outcome Best of Luck with it all

Cromwell,
after reading this discussion with Langstraat,
I notice you said that the "Coldstream Guards
Badge was a "Flaming Grenade, not so,
that was THe Grenadier Guards badge
OK Mate O0 ;)

You are correct but replying in a rush Coldstreams Guards is like Star of the Order of the Garter.
Grenadier Guards is Flaming Grenade (wrote a book on the subject)

Langstraat
My friend if you cannot get over yourself I can get you a photo of Bernard Dugmores Grave at Voormezeele which is just by St Eloi as you know, if you are willing to wait till the summer comes
I have various friends in the area so it will not be to much of a problem
If you want photo's of the Cemetery I will Zip them over
Cromwell

I have a friend who is a coach driver who does all the battlefield trips so as soon as I get in touch with him I will let you know. also Pete my son is over their later this year around the Messines area so no need to worry its all in hand

Langstraat, my friend the wheels are in motion to get you a photograph. I have made contact with a chap in Ypres to see if he can do it for me, so its just playing the waiting game now.

What a happy, caring, sharing bunch of people on these forums, truly one big cyber family. O0 :smitten:

Back