• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Powell Family. 64 Lower Tower Street.

Nat1

Does anyone know what happened to the Powell family? They lived at 64 Lower Tower street in 1939.Alfred and Lily, their children were Brian, I think they had a son Alfie who emigrated to Canada and a daughter Joan.Many Thanks.

It was actually 6 back of 64 Lower Tower street in 1939. On the 1945 e roll they were at 1 back of 255 Bloomsbury Street. In 1950 and 1955 Alfred and Lily were at 9 Whitehouse Street. In 1960 they are still there but Brian appears on the e roll and is marked as in the services. In 1965 (the last year I can access on Ancestry) Alfred and Lily are listed at 27 Stuart Street.
I was not sure it was the right people but with Brian showing in 1960 I am fairly certain it is the right family.
Alfred's dob is given as 18 Jan 1909 on the 1939 reg and there is a death registered in 1979 for an Alfred Powell with that dob.
Lily appears to have died in 1995.

It looks as if Brian (dob on 1939 reg as 24 Jul 1938) has also died as there is a death reg in 2005 with the right dob.

Thank you so much, that is so kind of you. Long shot, but can you see if Brian ever married?

I did look but there are several possibilities Brian Powell seems to be a common name so it is difficult to be sure.

click on link below for the lower tower st photos you may find them of interest..all gone now of course

Alfred Powell is listed as dob 19 July 1931 and sailed on the Saxonia on 11 Sep 1957 - the address is 9 Whitehouse Street and he is listed as RCAF. This must have been a return visit as he also sailed in July 1956 and is listed as a motor fitter.

click on link below for the lower tower st photos you may find them of interest..all gone now of course

Absolutely great. Thank you very much.

Back