• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Poverty Line 1839 to 1900

Andy, how did you discriminate between metal and iron and steel trades and were the boxes in the next category made from metal/steel?
Hello Richard, I originally used the 1886 & 1909 board of trade and their occupations to the trades for categories, as well Abstract of Labour Statistics 1894/97, Cadburys Sweating and his look into Women's work & Wages , Charles Booth huge volume of works, History of the Corporation of Birmingham 1902 by Bunce & Vince, as well Peter Shergold 'working class life' and in fact I am in the process of changing the occupation categories to be closer to Shergold's List. I will at some point be pointing on all the occupations and Categories on to my website but now having just posted a blog for Ward Street, attached is the new occupation category list for that Street. Metal, Iron and steel would all come under Manufacturing

Ward Street Occupation Category.jpg

Hello Richard, I originally used the 1886 & 1909 board of trade and their occupations to the trades for categories, as well Abstract of Labour Statistics 1894/97, Cadburys Sweating and his look into Women's work & Wages , Charles Booth huge volume of works, History of the Corporation of Birmingham 1902 by Bunce & Vince, as well Peter Shergold 'working class life' and in fact I am in the process of changing the occupation categories to be closer to Shergold's List. I will at some point be pointing on all the occupations and Categories on to my website but now having just posted a blog for Ward Street, attached is the new occupation category list for that Street. Metal, Iron and steel would all come under Manufacturing

View attachment 187247
Thank you!

Back