• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

POUNTNEY, BIDDULPH connection?

smallheathexplorer

master brummie
Many thanks to Alberta, I now have the name John Biddulph (b1845/6) in the tree and am on his trail. I already had Pountney name and was delighted when I found John Biddulph staying with the Pountneys in 1861 census, as a boarder. Address looks like 36 Fordrough (?) St, St Thomas dist, Birmingham. Head is Thomas Pountney (61) wife Anne (60), unmarried sister Caroline (40), sons Thomas (23) Henry (20) and George (16).

Can anyone help me to find a family connection between John Biddulph and the Pountney family? Later census returns show John married to Harriet. There is a Harriet Pountney married in Aston in 1871, but also a Harriet Adcock married in Aston in 1871 - and the latter is on the same page as John Biddulph, so more likely.

Henry Pountney (b1841) was the grandfather of the woman who in 1924 adopted John Biddulph's grandson, after the death of the child's mother (John Biddulph's daughter). If there is no connection, this seems a remarkable coincidence.

Hi,
I am also researching the Pountney family.
My g/mother was Alice Louise Pountney (B 1883). She had at least one brother William and at least one sister. This sister emigrated to Australia with her children after the 1st WW. (Married name not known)
Her father was William Frederick Pountney (B1856-1922) married (1875) to Emma Rochell (B1857-1931).
William Fredericks father was John Pountney (B 1830-1896) married (1821) to Caroline Barrow (B1821-1883).
Do these names match any in your family history list?
Researching Pountney, Rochell, Barrow Trotman, Wager.
Regards
Joff

Many thanks to Alberta, I now have the name John Biddulph (b1845/6) in the tree and am on his trail. I already had Pountney name and was delighted when I found John Biddulph staying with the Pountneys in 1861 census, as a boarder. Address looks like 36 Fordrough (?) St, St Thomas dist, Birmingham. Head is Thomas Pountney (61) wife Anne (60), unmarried sister Caroline (40), sons Thomas (23) Henry (20) and George (16).

Can anyone help me to find a family connection between John Biddulph and the Pountney family? Later census returns show John married to Harriet. There is a Harriet Pountney married in Aston in 1871, but also a Harriet Adcock married in Aston in 1871 - and the latter is on the same page as John Biddulph, so more likely.

Henry Pountney (b1841) was the grandfather of the woman who in 1924 adopted John Biddulph's grandson, after the death of the child's mother (John Biddulph's daughter). If there is no connection, this seems a remarkable coincidence.

I went to St. Peters RC School with a Mavis Pountney.
From I think September 1949 until 1955.
She had I think a younger sister and the Pountney family lived in Shakespeare Road, Ladywood, Birmingham 1.

ladywood

Back