• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Posting email address on open forum

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks just a little note to remind members that by posting your personal email address on open forum which the world and his wife can see you are doing so at your own risk... you are leaving yourself open to the possible hacking of your address and also getting emails from people who you dont know...it is far safer to exchange email addresses via our private message system which is just that..private between yourself and the recipient but dont forget to check your settings to make sure that this facility has been enabled by you...if you have posted your email address on open forum you can always go back to the post..use the edit button and delete your email address if you want to..

all the best

lyn

Last edited:
Good advice. I have done this before only due ro nit getting response from PM. But so far no problems. John Crump

thanks john the only thing with sending private messages is you have to hope that the resipients have ticked to receive them..what i do if i send one and do not get a reply within a few days is to go to a thread where they have posted something and just make a normal post letting them know you have sent them a pm and they can then check to see if they have allowed members to send them...has to be much safer..a few years back my email address was hacked and i lost all my contacts addresses and all my contacts received emails pretending to be me but using my email address saying i was in another country on holiday and had been mugged and could they please send me some money..i wouldnt mind but i was sitting at home while all this was going on lol....

lyn

Last edited:
REMINDER TO ALL MEMBERS AS PRIVATE EMAILS ARE STILL BEING POSTED ON OPEN FORUM....hi folks just a little note to remind members that by posting your personal email address on open forum which the world and his wife can see you are doing so at your own risk... you are leaving yourself open to the possible hacking of your address and also getting emails from people who you dont know...it is far safer to exchange email addresses via our private message system which is just that..private between yourself and the recipient..if you do want to send and receive private messages please check your settings to make sure that this facility has been enabled by you

all the best

lyn[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Good advice Lyn but I tried to contact the last person who posted their email address to advise him of the dangers and he hadn't got his message facility
in place so perhaps all members could check their profile.

thats true alberta not everyone has ticked to receive and send private messages..i shall go back and edit my first post including a reminder about that

hi folks just a little note to remind members that by posting your personal email address on open forum which the world and his wife can see you are doing so at your own risk... you are leaving yourself open to the possible hacking of your address and also getting emails from people who you dont know...it is far safer to exchange email addresses via our private message system which is just that..private between yourself and the recipient but dont forget to check your settings to make sure that this facility has been enabled by you...if you have posted your email address on open forum you can always go back to the post..use the edit button and delete your email address if you want to..

all the best

lyn

how do i reply to some one new to this barry

Last edited by a moderator:
hi barry just click on where it says private messages at the top left of the page...

lyn

Back