• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Postcard of unknown family

brummy-lad

master brummie
This is a postcard sent to my grandfather at Scholefield Street, Nechells in 1913. It is signed by Sexton Blakey but I think this is a reference to the fictional detective, although perhaps his surname was actually Blake ?

It was printed by A Wilson Photographer of Victoria Road. I know it's a long shot but does the family look familiar to anyone. Thanks, John

There were two people named Blakey on the electoral roll in 1912, one at 78 havelock road and one at Valentine road, so surname could be as written
Mike

Thanks Mike, a bit of a puzzler this one. I have a feeling that my grandad and 'Sexton Blakey' were in the Victoria Convalescent Home (Clevedon)together, I'm hoping there are still records in existence at Clevedon. John

Off topic a bit, but my grandparents lived at 187 Scholefield St., obviously after the people mentioned in the postcard and I was also born there.

Hi Keith,

I find these sort of occurrences so interesting, I didn't even know that my grandfather once lived there until I found the postcard amongst my uncle's belongings after he died.

At some stage the family moved to 143 Park Lane (a bicycle shop), even my mum has no recollection of Scholefield Street ever being mentioned.

Thanks for replying,

John

I have a picture of the property from when my grandparents lived there it was taken in 1960 just before it was demolished. I don't know when they actaully moved in there, but I was born there in 1951 and assume they were living there for some time prior to that, maybe after they married in July 1929.
I tried to upload the picture but could not work out why it would not transfer to the site?

Hi do any of your family remember a elsie and lomond reid she used to be elsie smith they lived on park lane nechells they had 2 sons,any information would be appreciated,thankyou.

Hi Steward,

143 Park Lane was near to the HP factory in Aston so probably quite a way from the family you refer to. I will ask mum (she is 91 now) she has a good memory.

I have a picture of the property from when my grandparents lived there it was taken in 1960 just before it was demolished. I don't know when they actaully moved in there, but I was born there in 1951 and assume they were living there for some time prior to that, maybe after they married in July 1929.
I tried to upload the picture but could not work out why it would not transfer to the site?

Keith have you tried changing the format to JPEG. Dek

Thankyou any help would be great i have hit a wall now dont know where to go from here.there are some other names if you dont mind could you ask your mom if they ring a bell,ernest samuel smith,mary kathleen blake,elsie smith,william blake,bert taylor and lilian taylor or smith,i know its a long shot but this is my last try,thankyou so much.

Hi Keith,

Have just returned to this thread, I know it has been 3 years since the thread was started but was hoping perhaps you would be able to upload the picture of 187 Scholefield Street.

Regards, John

I can't help with your Scholefield Street query, but there was a bicycle shop in Park Lane, just off Parliament Street, as you turned right into Park Lane from Parliament Street, there were 3 or 4 houses then the bicycle shop and I think next door was Burtons paper shop.

hello brummy lad would you happen to have any photos of parliament street please...

many thanks

lyn

Hi Sylvia & Lyn,

Scholefield Street was where my grandparents lived before moving to the bicycle shop on Park Lane, incidentally the newspaper shop next door belonged to my aunty and uncle.

Lyn, unfortunately the only picture I have of Parliament Street is the one that is shown on John Houghton's website, It's hard to believe there are no others in existence. Sorry I can't help, John

Hi Sylvia & Lyn,

Scholefield Street was where my grandparents lived before moving to the bicycle shop on Park Lane, incidentally the newspaper shop next door belonged to my aunty and uncle.

Lyn, unfortunately the only picture I have of Parliament Street is the one that is shown on John Houghton's website, It's hard to believe there are no others in existence. Sorry I can't help, John

ok thanks john...when i brave the new library again parliament st is on my list so if i do find any photos i will post them for you..

lyn

Hi Lynn
Just a briefe. Word you had a lady recently looking for number six summer field crescent edgbaton I think her name was smith
And asked if you have got a pic of it and you sacked heart where about it was well the summer field crescent she is after come from between
Ickneild port road and gillott rd the gillott rd comes facing follow street which runs of north rook street through to ickneild port road

Gillott road comes from Hagley. Road down to ickneld port road but bears just off to the left there is a big. Old church on the corner
That his summer field crescent and at the bottom of the crescent there used to be an old shoe cobbler whom she may recall
His name was Stan, I cannot recalled his surname thou I should I knew him very well and his wife and kids
They lived in Selby park is wife was Barbara whom this lady may recall and next to there old cobbler shop which is still boarded up after all these years
Is an old post office many many years ago it was ran by an Irish family whom I courted there daughter ,still that's another story
Stan retired in the eighths at a very oldish age packed up and sold his house in Selly park Birmingham and went to the black country
I thought I would mention it in case you may have a pic of the corner as number six was area fpdoors from stans old shop
So if you or anybody else may have a shot of the corner of the crescent you may have just got a inclusive pic of the house
If my memory serves me correctly on this forum about ten years ago there was a pic of the corner shop
Many thanks and I hope you do not mind me mentioning to you as I know you aim to please every body with your wondefull collection of photo,s
Best wishes Alan. ,,astonian,,,,

hi alan i am sorry but to date i dont have a photo of that corner but if i do find one i will post it...

all the best

lyn

My father & his parents lived in Parliament Street from 1922 up to at least 1955, I don't have any photos but I'll ask around in the family to see if any exist.

Back