• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Postbox Maintenance Postman

One thing I ment to mention was every post box has its own key, in the"good old days" quite a number of #
walking Postmen used to empty boxes on their delivery, bring the letters in, very often the catch the second
delivery, that was before the first + second class thing started,.Each bunch of keys had a brass tag on them,
saying "If found return to any Police station for a reward of 2s6p, which the person who lost the keys had to
pay! There a photo of the tag on my other post, Bernard

Thanks again Dave, you are a handy bloke to have around with a camera, most of your pictures from the NMA have been really first class, I hope you keep up the good
work, I must pay another visit soon, I am only half an hour away at Littleover, cheers Bernard

It's worth recording the Birmingham connection with the old Victorian wall mounted postboxes. Most of them were made in Brum and if you look at the foot of the box you will see names such as Smith & Hawkes, Bernard P Walker, Eagle Range & Foundry. I don't know where the factories were situated though. The boxes I look out for when I'm travelling around were made by James Ludlow who were in the jewellery quarter in Albion St.

These boxes are quite rare and can be recognised by the metal plate which is visible from a distance. I noticed a couple this last weekend in Lincolnshire and took a photo. I haven't seen any around the Birmingham area but I can remember an old Victorian one which was in the wall of the post office just outside Kidderminster on the Bewdley road. I noticed last year that it had gone though.

Bob

Hi Bob,I have a photo album of well over 200 post boxes, I was in the Letter Box Study Group for some years until one year they doubled the subs in one go, have you
seen my other boxes on this thread, Bernard ps I too know a little bit about a lot of things, mainly PBs./ quite a number of boxes were made in Derby by Handysides

I've only just picked up on this thread Bernard. Unfortunately I can't open the pics from last year. Perhaps they've been removed. I've got a couple of pics within Brum which I've just been looking for. One is the Edward VIII box in Digbeth near the rag market, I don't know if it disappeared though in the Bull Ring refit. (Can't find the pic at the moment!)

The other one is this lovely old box in Dog Kennel Lane, Shirley

Bob

I've only just picked up on this thread Bernard. Unfortunately I can't open the pics from last year. Perhaps they've been removed. I've got a couple of pics within Brum which I've just been looking for. One is the Edward VIII box in Digbeth near the rag market, I don't know if it disappeared though in the Bull Ring refit. (Can't find the pic at the moment!)

The other one is this lovely old box in Dog Kennel Lane, Shirley

Bob
Nice one, looks as if it has recently been painted? I am not sure wether or not my boxes are
still on the thread, I dont want to bore people with repeats, I spend the last five years of my 42 on Post
Boxes, Bernard

Yes it had just been painted Bernard but I omitted to say that my photo was taken in 1994 so I suspect that like me it has lost a bit of its shine since then :)

I've since found my pic of the rare Edward VIII box in Digbeth, taken in 2003

Hello there, ERV111 are not really rare, we have three here in Derby, Mike says that this forum will not show pics iof they have been on before and I haver shown most
of mine once but here goes, Bernard The three together are "K" type boxes, the box won a design award in 1979 from the British Council, dont know how they are
horrible, I took this one when the front of the office in Victoria Square was being renovated Hope you like them, have lots more, Bernie

Last edited:
One didnt show, Bernie I think the best looking ones are the ERV11 they are scrolls but he only reigned from 1901/1910 so there arent too many about

Last edited:
One didnt show, Bernie I think the best looking ones are the ERV11 they are scrolls but he only reigned from 1901/1910 so there arent too many about
Two more VR boxes, the subpo one just as you go into Coventry from Brum, the other at Blackpool when we went to see the lights
Bernard You can see the Handyside DERBY name on the box

Hello there, ERV111 are not really rare, we have three here in Derby, Mike says that this forum will not show pics iof they have been on before and I haver shown most
of mine once but here goes, Bernard The three together are "K" type boxes, the box won a design award in 1979 from the British Council, dont know how they are
horrible, I took this one when the front of the office in Victoria Square was being renovated Hope you like them, have lots more, Bernie
Have found a Edward V11, beautiful scrool work on the door,

My son in law came yesterday, we were looking at my Post boxes, I said to him "I cant remember where I took that photo, theEVII pillar box", he said I can! he has never shown any interest in boxes before, he said I will find it for you, on to Google street, town Shrewsbury, outside the Castle, there it was. I was amazed, really and
truely amazed, I was born fifty years too soon this computer lark is just like Harry Potter to me , pure magic bye Bernard

Back