• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Post Office lending library Erdington

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Not sure how this fits into the history of the Post Office. But it seems to be a combined post office and a lending library. Probably very much on the same lines as is happening today, with POs being located alongside other services. Viv.
5E9C5C6F-EA92-4129-AE46-4C2973A8A45F.jpeg
3992D96A-BFE9-4BDA-BD13-76E7C272831F.jpeg
BB4291A6-B90A-4E34-88A8-CF8D7A282497.jpeg
Source British Newspaper Archive

Viv, would this have been the post office on the green? I remember Mom talking about a lending library in George Road, almost in Slade Road. Mom and Dad were great readers and in the 30's there was lots of these libraries about and in the 1930's it was 1d (one old penny) to borrow a book. Not sure if there was a subscription fee to pay as well. I think at the time you could only borrow 4 books a week from Birmingham libraries and I'm sure they would have got through these in no time. It would be interesting to see if anyone else has information on private libraries or is there already a thread?
I know that the first thing they did when they went on holiday was to register at the local library.

This watermarked photo often pops up on eBay claiming to be the Library in Erdington B’ham but I’m sceptical. It would have to pre-date 1906 when the big library was built on Orphanage Road. But it could well fit the idea of a library combined with a post office. It might be Erdington (rather than another part of the country) but I’ve never been able to place it. Does it look like a familiar view to anyone ? Is it New Street (Erdington) as per post #3 ?Viv.

Attachments

• 1B3F861E-BCB4-4F60-8ABB-ADB21BBFFC3B.jpeg
    1B3F861E-BCB4-4F60-8ABB-ADB21BBFFC3B.jpeg
    307.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Viv, that photo vaguely looks like Station Road with he junction of Osbourne Road at the right hand said. I know there was a shop called Three JJJ’s Library, right where the The Library is in the photo.

My doubt is that the row of shops was a bit shorter in my memory.

Viv
It would have been a circulating library for which people paid to borrow books. I can remember them in boot and WH Smiths in the 1950s. They were often associated with booksellers or similar. This is almost certainly associated with a stationers (which is similar). The 1904 Kellys lists no 252 High st Erdington (see name when looking closely at photo), as John Barrett ,grocer, near the end of the street and 6 shops away from the Baptist chapel (which would be on the far right.) No 246 is Alfred Rodway, Tailor (Rodway in photo) and two doors up from there (where Library sign is) is no 242.John Dodd , tobaconist & stationer

Thanks Mike, that looks spot on ! Here’s a comparison. Robinson’s in the modern view seems to be the former PO Library. Frontages have been changed but you can still see this is the place, Viv.381BBC97-C7A3-41A6-B584-57556469DB3C.jpeg

Viv
It would have been a circulating library for which people paid to borrow books. I can remember them in boot and WH Smiths in the 1950s. They were often associated with booksellers or similar. This is almost certainly associated with a stationers (which is similar). The 1904 Kellys lists no 252 High st Erdington (see name when looking closely at photo), as John Barrett ,grocer, near the end of the street and 6 shops away from the Baptist chapel (which would be on the far right.) No 246 is Alfred Rodway, Tailor (Rodway in photo) and two doors up from there (where Library sign is) is no 242.John Dodd , tobaconist & stationer

Mike, do you have any information on Three JJJ's Library on Station Road. It was a strange shop in that its had rows and rows of books but was never opened to my knowledge. It was almost like a time capsule, with all the cobwebs etc.

Dave
When would this have been? I'm not quite clear where you mean. Youn say station road, but, as I understand it, in the earlier post you say it is where the library is in the photo, which I understood was high st

Mike, do you have any information on Three JJJ's Library on Station Road. It was a strange shop in that its had rows and rows of books but was never opened to my knowledge. It was almost like a time capsule, with all the cobwebs etc.
I remember the shop you mention Morturn. I passed it many times in the late 50s or early 60s. I couldn't remember its name though. I recall the cobwebs and some yellowing window shades presumably to keep the sun off the books. From memory it was in the row of shops indicated on the attached map.

Attachments

• Station rd library shop.jpg
    Station rd library shop.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 7
The map seems to show no 15 circled. Not sure what period we are referring to, but Kellys from the early 1960s till the last Kellys in 1973 show it as either a fish and chip shop or a chinese takeaway

Back