• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Post Office Factory. Fordrough Lane

Reg Neal

proper brummie kid
I worked at this Factory from the time I left school at the age of 14 years.Started in August 1940 and attended the in house Engineering School. Unfortunately this was cut short when the Blitz started in earnest, the factory was badly hit in November 19th and 21st. H Block was destroyed and so was G Block. I worked there until my call-up came in December 1944 and I finished up in the Artillery in the Far East. Came home in 1947 and went back to Garrison Lane Factory. Would love to hear from any contempories of those far off days.
In 1940 I worked in the Machine Shop, at one time on the Auto Capstans under the watchful eye of Bill Watts,at other times under Jack Daniels, The Shop Foreman was Jack Clark known as Nobby by the adults but addressed as MR CLARK by us boys. I was paid 3d an hour and worked a 48 hour week for 12/6d. There must be someone out there that knew some one
working there. Give us a shout please.

Last edited:
My father, Tom Bingham, worked there all his working life until he retired in about 1980. He worked at Fordrough Lane I think most of the time, but did have to go to Garrison Lane sometimes. During the war he worked somewhere in London for the Post Office as he was never called up. He started at Fordrough Lane from the age of 14 which would have been about 1932.

Hi Reg, Type "Garrison" Lane into search at the top of the page and you will find relevant threads, i started there 1943, my name is Len Copsey. Len.

Hi Reg

My Mom Hazel Atkins and her friend Pat Powis worked at Fordrough Lane and I think at Garrison Lane too. She retired in 1980 - I think the Post Office became British Telecoms? My brother David Atkins also worked there when it was the Post Office and played for the football team. He would have left around 1968 I think.

My mom and myself worked at Post Office Fordrough Lane in the offices in the 70's and then moved to Arley Road Saltley when it became BT.

i too worked at the lane on cable section again 70,s, moved saltley and short spell in offices before they closed it down

Reg Neal, When i was at the factory, the Foreman was Albert Wadley other names i recall, Arthur Eke, Dorrington, the Timmins brothers, "Sailor" Brown, Bluck & Stagg, i had left before 1947. Len.

Last edited:
Dear Reg Neal - I worked at the Post Office Factory Fordrough Lane from 1953 to 1991, which was obviously some time after you left.
However I have set-up a website for ex-staff and I'm sure you will find my photograph gallery page of interest because there are a number of pictures that date back to before WW2 and, there are some photos of the damage inflicted on the factory by the German Bombers.
The website can be found at;-
https://www.supacog.webs.com

I also knew Albert Comberlack he was the Assistant Foreman to Eric Hatton when I worked in the Model Shop at Fordrough Lane in 1959/60.
Arthur Eke was the First Aid Leader at Garrison Lane throughout the 60s & 70s also at that time Tommy Bingham was the foreman of the Rack Shop at Garrison Lane.
Regarding David Atkins - I can only remember a chap named Billy Atkins who played for the Post Office Stores Football Team in 1956.

A book titled - Post Office/British Telecom Factories 1870 -1994 was published in 2008 - which contains quite a few photographs and gives a good description of the contribution the Factories Division made to the success of both the Post Office and British Telecom.

I hope this is of some help and I would be pleased to hear from you if you wish to contact me on - [email protected]

All best regards, Ernie Coggins.

Hi Reg

My Mom Hazel Atkins and her friend Pat Powis worked at Fordrough Lane and I think at Garrison Lane too. She retired in 1980 - I think the Post Office became British Telecoms? My brother David Atkins also worked there when it was the Post Office and played for the football team. He would have left around 1968 I think.

Hi Gillian, I remeber a chap called Billy Atkins who worked in the factory at Fordrough Lane and he played in the Post office Stores Football Team in 1956 - could this be another relative ?
Regards, Ernie Coggins

Dear Ernie

My father was the Thomas Bingham you mentioned. He worked all his working life for the Post Office at both Fordrough Lane and Garrison Lane. During the war he worked for the Post Office in London. I cannot remember exactly when he retired, he took early retirement when he was just turned 60 I think. Unfortunely, he passed away when he was very young at 68. I am glad that I have found someone who remembers him.

I will look at your web page at your pictures.

Regards
Christine Jones

Hi there, no David wouldn't have been old enough to have played in 1956, he would have been 11. I think he has a press cutting, I'll email him and ask him if he's still got it. :)

col h, that is a super pic of the Fordrough Lane site, the name Government stores puts i think pre WW2, later known as Post Office Factory. Len.

Len - the Bluck you remember was probably my father, John I believe he worked at Fordrough Lane before being called up in 1946. In 1949 he married and joined my Mother's family business, Leslie Adams Coal Merchants which he ran until 1966. Dad passed away in 1969 i'm afraid so I can't ask him for any more details

Hi Christine, the retirement age as always been 60 on the Post Office, many do stay on over that age because they cant afford to live on the
PO pension alone and have to wait five years for their State OAP.
When the bill went through parliment to split Telecomms and the PO, our
union people were there every day to make sure the age was not raised to 65. I did 42 years in the PO,at Birmingham, Burton , and then Derby
Bye for now Bernard.

LJCB, The man named Bluck i remember worked at Garrison Lane c1943, he worked on repairing the cast iron phone box`s used at that time, he could have transferred to Fordrough Lane, i was called up for N/S c1947 but had left the Post Office before that year. Len.

Dear Reg,

I worked at Fordrough Lane from 1953 to 1991 you may find information about the people you are looking for or the history of what happened in the factory after 1940 on the following website;-
https://supacog.webs.com

All very best regards, Ernie Coggins.

I worked at the Post Office Factory from 5th January 1953 until 31st March 1991.

I still meet a number of ex-colleagues at various times in the month and feel it is important that as many ex-factory empoyees are aware of our meeting places just in case they wish to renew acquaintances.

The Federation of Post Office and BT Veterans meet at Bordesley Allotments, opposite Daniels Road School on the First Wednesday of each month at 10.00 to 11.30 am coffee, tea, biscuits and social events. Come along and meet friends from the Factory, Supplies Depot and Offices all welcome, the more the merrier.

The Marlborough Veterans Lunch Club meet at the Wheatsheaf Pub, Coventry Road on the First Wednesday of each month at 12 noon. Good company and a good carvery at very reasonable prices. Everybody welcome especially wives, girfriends and Sweethearts.

For more detail visit our dedicated website - https://supacog.webs.com

Regards Ernie.

Back