• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Post Office Factory. Fordrough Lane

familysearch

Thank you Len. Which factory were you working in at the time. Do you remember my dad Frank Cotterell? Was he involved at all? I'd be really pleased if you could tell me anything that might help me to find out more about my father. My grandchildren are fascinated by what he might have been involved in during the war.

lencops

gone but not forgotten
Thank you Len. Which factory were you working in at the time. Do you remember my dad Frank Cotterell? Was he involved at all? I'd be really pleased if you could tell me anything that might help me to find out more about my father. My grandchildren are fascinated by what he might have been involved in during the war.
I and my pals worked i the Garrison Lane factory circa 1943, i left in late 1946, did your Dad work there? because if he worked at the Fordrough Lane factory there were about 1,000+ workers and some sections would not know some workers from the next section, do you know what your Dad`s job was?, for example- Fitter, Turner, Miller, Carpenter, Electrician they made so many different products they even had Bicycle makers and repairers, Garrison Lane Lane only had approx 200 or less workers. Len.

lencops

gone but not forgotten
This book tells a lot about the Colosuss Computer project, the authors worked on the project. Len. POST OFFICE/BRITISH TELECOM FACTORIES - 1870 - 1994 by Messrs K. Govier, D. Proctor, J. Spanton & C. Reynolds. - Priced at £7.00 plus £1.95 P&P from YPD-Books, 64 Hallfield Road, Layerthorpe, York, YO31 7ZQ.
- Also available online from https://www.ypd-books.co.uk/

Craig Clinton

My Dad worked at Fordrough Lane and Garrison Lane, His name was Ray Clinton, (d 1989) I remember him telling me he started there in 1943 (aged 14) until 47 when national service came calling, he came back in 49 and worked there until 1983 when he retired, names I can remember him talking about were - Johnny Morris, Roy Haddock, Ray Harrodine, Bob Crawley & Stan smelt, My mom also worked there during the 1950's (Gillian Bunford -then Clinton- still going strong !!) does anybody remember them?

Pedrocut

Master Barmy
The Colossus of Bordesley Green.
Calling all GPO engineers...top secret.