• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Post cards from France WW2 (1940)

Mayfield

Burbury Brummie
The following two WW2 cards were sent from my father Alfred Acton (pictured with his RA buddies - my dad is in the front holding a flaggon of ale) to his sisters Ethel and Nancy

Thanks for those, Keith. So reminiscent of the tens of thousands of similar postcards sent home in the period 1914 - 1918, little over twenty years previously. The designs were probably the same too; the "Great War" one in particular could very well be a rehash, with just the date changed. And behind every one of them lay a story, like that of your father's sister.

What was your father's subsequent R.A. history?

Chris

How blessed you are Keith to have such memorabilia from those sad times. It shows how close families were in those days. I also read the postcard from your dad to his sister concerning the one who later died. I can imagine how hurt he must have felt being so far away at that time. Young men went to war then because they felt they had to, against what they thought was a common enemy, and I know there are alot of youngsters today, who have the same good qualities. But our cities appear once more to be at war and it makes me so sad. Surely this type of society is self destructive? Back in 1940 men would have preferred not to fight. I am sure we kill part of ourselves when we become the killer. What is the answer?
Lynda

Thanks for those, Keith. So reminiscent of the tens of thousands of similar postcards sent home in the period 1914 - 1918, little over twenty years previously. The designs were probably the same too; the "Great War" one in particular could very well be a rehash, with just the date changed. And behind every one of them lay a story, like that of your father's sister.

What was your father's subsequent R.A. history?

Chris

My father was a Gunner in the RA 68th Field regiment, 269th Field Battery. He enlisted on 3rd June 1937 and released 23rd April 1946. His war records show that he served prior to the war in England, and then France, Africa, Iraq, Iran, Palestine, Syria, Egypt and Italy.

Keith

How blessed you are Keith to have such memorabilia from those sad times. It shows how close families were in those days. I also read the postcard from your dad to his sister concerning the one who later died. I can imagine how hurt he must have felt being so far away at that time. Young men went to war then because they felt they had to, against what they thought was a common enemy, and I know there are alot of youngsters today, who have the same good qualities. But our cities appear once more to be at war and it makes me so sad. Surely this type of society is self destructive? Back in 1940 men would have preferred not to fight. I am sure we kill part of ourselves when we become the killer. What is the answer?
Lynda

Thank you Lynda

Here are some postcards sent by my mother's first husband, Frank, from the western front in France.

They are dated April 1940. In May 1940 Frank was killed defending the retreat of Dunkirk.

Frank was with D company 8th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

Also killed, in the same engagement at the same time, was my mother's brother Harold. Frank's brother in law. They were brother's in arms.

Also see this thread....

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4471&highlight=ships

Phil

Back