• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

possible to find/view graves in Key Hill Cemetery and St. Barnabas, Erdington?

BWagerTXUSA

Soliciting advice: (I have also sent emails to St. Barnabas church and JQRT). I am coming to Birmingham in July and would love to find out if these family graves were still viewable:

George Wager Circa 1855-1936 (Wife Emma)
I found a Church of England burial record for him saying "Erdington, St. Barnabas, Warwickshire, England". It has record number 402 by him but that is probably just the order number of burial, not a grave number. I don't know for sure. I've emailed that church to see if they have any info/advice. I would appreciate any advice here also, if anyone has any.

Key Hill Cemetery:
I have a record of 3-4 ancestors buried in Key Hill Graves Section I 308.
Emma Wager
James Wager
George Wager
If I showed up to this cemetery could I view these graves? Could I even find them? Are there hours or days when it it closed? Could I access these or would they be blocked off? I would really love to see these, and would appreciate any advice.

Soliciting advice: (I have also sent emails to St. Barnabas church and JQRT). I am coming to Birmingham in July and would love to find out if these family graves were still viewable:

I found a Church of England burial record for him saying "Erdington, St. Barnabas, Warwickshire, England". It has record number 402 by him but that is probably just the order number of burial, not a grave number. I don't know for sure. I've emailed that church to see if they have any info/advice. I would appreciate any advice here also, if anyone has any.

Key Hill Cemetery:
I have a record of 3-4 ancestors buried in Key Hill Graves Section I 308.
Emma Wager
James Wager
George Wager
If I showed up to this cemetery could I view these graves? Could I even find them? Are there hours or days when it it closed? Could I access these or would they be blocked off? I would really love to see these, and would appreciate any advice.
BW Tex, welcome to the Forum, enjoy! I am sure some of our members can help you with some direction!

It looks as if there is a 4th person in the grave. If you search on this site for grave info it also has the name Clara Spittle.

Last edited:
B Wager TXUS, welcome to the Forum.

My wife's GGG grandparents and all their children are all buried in the NON CONFORMIST Key Hill Cemetery, in the famous Birmingham Jewellery Quarter. Fortunately we found their private family grave on a first visit a few years ago. The flat slab headstone had been laid flat which has helped to preserve the clear reading of all the Memorial Inscriptions. It has been well looked after and all the accessible grounds have recently been beautifully restored to their original condition.

( Highly recommend if you have any time left then a visit to the Birmingham Jewellery Quarter Museum on Vyse Street is well worth a visit)

We also looked on the 'Find My Grave' website and again lucky to find that another family researching my wife's family have left an image of the grave with all the inscription names clearly visible - this was only because somebody else luckily had submitted an entry.

We wish you well with all your research

Very best of luck with St Barnabas in Erdington BWagerTXUSA. Just to let you know, it is difficult to actually get to the site of some of the graves in the churchyard at the back of the church, as sadly that area has been left overgrown for many years (to the extent that I've been unable to get to my grandmother's parents and her brother's grave for a long time now). Some of the graves that were nearer to the church itself, were also removed on grounds that they were damaged or untended, of no particular architectural merit or known historical interest, when the church was rebuilt following a fire, around 10 years ago. I do hope that you are able to find the grave that you are looking for and able to get to it.

Have you seen the cemetery map here?

The 402 is simply the entry in the register but intriguingly it has the words "reopen" in the margin - no idea what that referes to.
1655042474134.png
There seem to be quite a few "Wager" burials at St Barnabas.

Janice, doesn't re-open refer to a later burial? My aunt was buried in the 1930's and the grave was bought for three people. Her father died in 1950 so the grave was re-opened and then again in 1965 for her mother.

Yes Lady P. Most of my wife's ancestors buried in Key Hill had passed away by 1893. It was reopened again 38 years later to inter their 69 year old daughter who outlived them all . Her father was the next oldest aged 68 who passed away in 1893. Her brothers and sister died very young aged 22 to 26. They were all non conformist Baptists from Cuddington in Bucks

Janice, doesn't re-open refer to a later burial? My aunt was buried in the 1930's and the grave was bought for three people. Her father died in 1950 so the grave was re-opened and then again in 1965 for her mother.
I thought that but was wondering if BWagerTXUSA (the poster of the question) had any idea who that might be for.
I also wondered if it referred to reopening from an earlier burial.

Last edited:
Would the reopen refer to a grave being reopened for George himself? (Apologies if that's what you meant). It appears that his wife/1st wife died in 1912.

And in regards St Barnabas graveyard, as mentioned in a thread a few days back it may not be straightforward to find graves. Though there are a number of Wagers listed on the Monumental Inscriptions link posted on that thread, there doesn't appear to be a George (or a Margaret).

Would the reopen refer to a grave being reopened for George himself? (Apologies if that's what you meant). It appears that his wife/1st wife died in 1912.
In a word - yes. I didn't know whose grave it might have been.
And in regards St Barnabas graveyard, as mentioned in a thread a few days back it may not be straightforward to find graves. Though there are a number of Wagers listed on the Monumental Inscriptions link posted on that thread, there doesn't appear to be a George (or a Margaret).
The register on Ancestry shows quite a number of Wagers but no idea if any are related.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back