• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Possible suicide - Update

jane k

master brummie
My father remembered being told that his mother`s step-father had taken his own life during WW2. His name was Albert Fletcher and I have found a possible death for him on FreeBMD for June 1944 in Sutton Coldfield. The listed age is right. The last known address I have for him was on the electoral roll in 1925 at Clifton Road, Aston Manor.
Is there any way I can find out more without buying a death certificate? I don`t currently have a subscription with any of family history websites. If it was suicide would there be a coroner`s report somewhere?

Coroners records are at Birmingham Library but they will only tell you if they hold the record. You have to go in to look as they don't offer a copy service.
That was the response I got regarding a 1912 Coroners Inquest - I asked just before lockdown and haven't ventured in yet.
You could also check local newspapers.

Last edited:
Early in the year I contacted the coroner's office for a 1903 suicide, they got back to me within a day, But only to tell me that the person I was looking for wasn't on file.

If he is the Albert Fletcher who lived at 35 Clifton Road, then he is listed on the 1939 Register living at 7 Sorrel Grove with his son Sidney.

Sorrel Grove comes under Erdington on the 1930s ERs but later is listed under Sutton Coldfield, though doesn't to me appear to be anywhere near.

In 1911 the Albert above, is in Clifton road one of his sons is Francis who the probate was granted to and another is Sidney who he is living with in 1939.
Also 2 stepchildren Jessie Francis Boardman and Alfred Donald Boardman
Hope this helps also.
Jessie Frances Boardman married twice
Charles H Barrett in 1914 no children found
Charles was killed in Belgium on 1st August 1916, his commemeoration on War Graves site has inscription
son of William and Helen, husband of Jessie Frances of 14 Ashmore road, kings Norton
but his will administered in November 1917 says Charles Howard Barrett , 36 Clifton road.Administration to Jessie F Barrett.

Edward l Howell in 1922. son Edward L Howell b 1923. Kings Norton he married Joan Hayden in 1947.

Last edited:
great info lets hope jane responds to it as she has been online to read all of the posts...personally i would apply for the death cert as it may give useful info

lyn

Gosh - you`re all amazing! Yes, you have found the right man. My parents were Edward L Howell and Joan Hayden.
I have sent for Albert`s death certificate so will let you know if I find out more.
Albert and his wife had a complicated history. He was 14 years younger than her and I think started out as her lodger. She was still married to Boardman who had vanished off the scene so she couldn`t get a divorce. Albert and she (Elizabeth Ann) had 3 children and were together for 24 years before finally marrying after Boardman died. I would love to know if the neighbours were aware of the truth

When you receive the death certificate, it will say on there if an inquest was held and also the name of the Coroner. If there is no mention of an Inquest, there will be no records. If there was an Inquest, you can apply directly to the Archives to make arrangements to view the file. As the death is more than 75 years old, you don't need the permission of the Coroner to view it.

Well, I have got the death certificate and it is rather sad reading. It says that Albert died 12 June 1944 at Sutton Coldfield hospital. Cause of death being "Shock due to multiple inuries caused by throwing himself from a railway bridge. Suicide while the balance of his mind was disturbed"
It then says the certificate was received from the Coroner for North Warwickshire. I think his name was C. Walter Joliffe. Inquest held 14th June 1944.
At the moment I`m not sure if I want to take this further but if I do decide to find out more about the inquest where would I find that information?
Is there likely to be a newspaper report anywhere? I guess it might have been considered insignificant in the middle of the War
(I knew Albert`s son Sid, who was a lovely man, and am still in contact with Sid`s daughter who is in her 90s. It seems slightly disrespectful for me to be looking at this sad history)

Last edited:
It does make sad reading. I have a relative who committed suicide - good job I knew or it would have been a shock to read the details.
A quick look at National Archives tells me that North Warwickshire records are held at Warwick Records Office.
1637080425701.png

I have been there but that was quite a few years ago. I would contact them and ask.

Back