• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Portland Terrace and other 'front to fronts'....

Dennis Williams

Gone but not forgotten
Always had a fascination for these Terraces, Views or whatever they are known as.......I call them front to fronts...like back to backs, only opposite? Anyone got any pics of old ones from yesteryear? City Hospital is surrounded by them! Here's the Portland Terrace aerial to illustrate my point....and another - Church View, off Walford Road, Sparkbrook....

Portland Terrace etc  City Hopital.jpgChurch View Walford Rd.jpg

Always had a fascination for these Terraces, Views or whatever they are known as.......I call them front to fronts...like back to backs, only opposite? Anyone got any pics of old ones from yesteryear? City Hospital is surrounded by them! Here's the Portland Terrace aerial to illustrate my point....and another - Church View, off Walford Road, Sparkbrook....

View attachment 150408View attachment 150409
Me too! When I was a girl there was one in Bordesley Green, I think it was in Witton Street. There was a dressmaker who lived there where my Mom took me to have my school summer dresses made. Even then I was fascinated...dont know why!
Lynn.

PS MWS I've just looked it up on street view, how lovely to see there are still roads like that with those lovely old houses...thought they'd all gone!!

and rutland terrace off crabtree road near dudley road hospital...it was about 50 years back now but i visited a old neighbour who moved from villa st... think it was the 3rd or 4th house on the right..i could quite easily live in one now :)

My nan lived in one in Sutton. There’s a series of them off Ryland Road. They’re great little houses. We used to visit on a Sunday. Remember catching the bus from Kingstanding Circle to go and see her. I used to think how quaint they were with, what was then a footpath between the one side and the other, each lined with privet hedges. I stayed there a few times (that was enough for me with my larger than life nan who thought she was still on the stage!). But I have good memories of the place, struck me that they were almost cottage-like inside, with smallish upstairs windows. Viv.

2BCE5890-35D2-44E9-896A-2AADD5E67C42.jpeg

Attachments

• 645CF885-F9B0-4647-9B14-624EEEC903E4.jpeg
    645CF885-F9B0-4647-9B14-624EEEC903E4.jpeg
    684.3 KB · Views: 10
  • CE194BF6-45FB-49F3-AC96-C0304C0FD94A.jpeg
    CE194BF6-45FB-49F3-AC96-C0304C0FD94A.jpeg
    482.5 KB · Views: 11
Thanks for this thread Dennis! I have often meant to look on Google maps for Louisa Place, and it's on your first picture of Portland Terrace. Must go and have a look next time we at City Hospital. Great Grandmother lived there during WW1.
rosie.

There's a few of these "front to front" terraces in Smethwick, I have a family connection with one, Alexander Terrace at the High Street end of Dibble Road, my great grandparents lived there from around 1910 until they had to go into Summerfield Hospital around 1967/8. They are still there today, along with Park Retreat off Suffrage Street where a ex boyfriend of mine lived, his back garden bordered on Victoria Park which was useful on occasions when we were running late and could use the park as a short cut to get to the 450 bus stop to take me back home to Bearwood.

There is also some off Parkes Street opposite Harry Mitchell Park, which I see daily as it's on my usual dog walk route, so I'll try to get a couple of photos of them.

I'd actually love to live in one, the houses in Park Retreat were lovely, spacious terraced houses with a good front and back garden, the only problem with them these days is parking, it's quite difficult to park right outside.

Rutland Terrace Crabtree Road

Attachments

• Rutland terrace crabtree road hockley 2.JPG
    Rutland terrace crabtree road hockley 2.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Rutland terrace crabtree road hockley 3.JPG
    Rutland terrace crabtree road hockley 3.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Rutland Terrace Crabtree Road Hockley.JPG
    Rutland Terrace Crabtree Road Hockley.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 5
There are some in Moseley. Church Avenue and part of Chandos Avenue.
1617644352497.png

Entrance to Church Avenue from St Mary's Row
1617644537267.png
Chandos Avenue seems to be part normal road and then becomes like this
1617644621648.png

Back