• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Porters of Small Heath

JohnWish

master brummie
The Porters lived in Victorian Digbeth and then various parts of Small Heath. They arrived at 128 Bankes Road after the 1911 census but were well established by 1914 it seems. The last of their descendants that lived there, my mother, left in the mid 1980's.

The photo was almost certainly taken in the garden of 128 in 1914.The groom in the photo is Leonard Smith. I think he was a baker. The bride is my great aunt Violet. When I knew them they lived in Blake Lane, almost opposite to the Custard House. They had 3 daughters. In the late 40's / early 50's I used to visit them on most Saturdays. We were registered with them for eggs from their hens in their back garden.

My mother (Dorothy) was the daughter of Ann Porter who married the mysterious Arthur Goldsby. She, seated by the groom's right hand, would have been 10 then.

I can recognise many of the Porters in the photo having known them later. My great grandfather and his wife are peering of the shoulders of the happy couple. I remember seeing him at 128 in the early days of the war. Great uncles James (plus wife) and Horace, great aunt Maud and my maternal grandmother are there too. By this time my grandfather had gone away. I've never knowingly seen a photo of him. My grandmother married again in the 1920's. Miraculously by then she had become a spinster again (or so the marriage certificate shows).

SORRY PHOTO IS STILL >2Mb. WILL TRY AGAIN TOMORROW

128.1915.jpg

Here's the wedding photo I should have sent earlier.
Incidentally, I too lived at 128, from the late 1940's until 1964.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back