• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Porchester Street

edmc

proper brummie kid
Hello, I am new to this very interesting site, and wonder if anyone can help. I am researching (for my own curiosity) the company Jones and Willis (formerly Newton Jones & Willis)- Church Furniture Manufacturers who started in Temple Row Birmingham abt 1835 . They had a large workshop in Porchester St from abt 1900. I have seen somewhere on the internet a photo taken in 1968 of a demolition site in what looks like the corner of Porchester St and Furnace Lane and this tallies with data I have on where the site actually was. A bit of a long shot but does anyone have any recollections of that site? Also what happened to the Temple Row site - the 1851 census shows a lot of people living/working from there, when was it demolished perhaps after 1884? Any help would be gratefully received! Attached is a drawing of Porchester St. Works.

Attachments

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi and welcome to the forum....bit confused as the drawing you have posted is of a works in london not birmingham...we do have a thread on the forum for porchester street which you may have seen but hopefully some of our members maybe able to help with your research

lyn

Pedrocut

Master Barmy
It appears that Newton Jones and Willis started as Drapers at Temple Row House. Became Jones and Willis around 1861. In 1863/4 they changed to Church furnishings with showrooms in Temple Row and Works at Porchester St.

Last edited:

Pedrocut

Master Barmy
Sometime before 1883 they seem to have moved from Temple Row to 79 Edmund St.

Last edited:

edmc

proper brummie kid
hi and welcome to the forum....bit confused as the drawing you have posted is of a works in london not birmingham...we do have a thread on the forum for porchester street which you may have seen but hopefully some of our members maybe able to help with your research

lyn
Oh dear I posted the wrong drawing! As you say that was the Hornsey London Workshop. Here is the Porchester Street Church Works.

Attachments