• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Porchester Street

jackie as mike has said it porchester st...maybe you could ask about the salvation army on the porchester st thread as you may get more reponse as i dont know the answer to that one...the sally army i attended was in nurery road and we also saw a lot of nuns around as i lived close to st marys convent but that is quite a way from porchester st

lyn

hi Jackie mike is correct it is porchester street the building looking like a church was a wood yard and a man named Austin used to own it he was a carpenter, it was facing our house

x marie

Sorry jm012q9719, I remember the houses, I used to walk that way to go shopping with my mom, I also remember the indoor ring market. It's completely changed now.

Jackie
The site for electoral rolls (and other things) is https://www.midlandshistoricaldata.org/. this goes up to 1965. If you have credits with it (minimum purchase £5 and they have to be used within 6 months)you can search electoral rolls by name (or two names together), or be street (remembering to put it in full , street as street not st, and road not rd) without using any of your credits . If you wanrt to see a scan of the whole page then you use your credits. People are on the electoral roll if they are eligable to vote. Thus someone born in 1960 would not appear in them till 1981. In 1965 the people registered at no 60 are just allan & ann, with Matilda Finlan in the house back of no 60
Hi Mikejee, Thank you for the website, I found what I was looking for my parents names listed at 60 Porchester Street.IMG_6158.JPG

In the late 50's my mother and father lived in Porchester Street in a flat in what I assume was the Porchester Arms. (was there another Pub on the street?) Their names were Beryl and Raymond Baugh.

I'm looking for info regarding when the pub was 'converted' for use and any photos. Plus anyone who remembers my parents. My Aunt and Uncle also lived there Fred and Joan.

My mother and father moved to Amblecote Ave in 1959 and I was born in 61'. I remember visiting another Aunt and Uncle who also lived in the Porchester arms for a while Betty & Ray. I remember the outside loo across the yard and big blue wooden gates.

Any info or memories greatly welcomed. Thanks in advance.

hi..may i ask what makes you think your parents lived in the porchester arms pub...as far as i am aware (but i could be wrong) it was always a pub up until it was demolished late 60s or 70s...

have you put in porchester street in the search box as we already have a long thread for porchester st which includes photos of the pub and of the street..later on i will get your post moved to the porchester st thread where you may get more response to your enquiry

all the best

lyn

Last edited:
Hi..... My parents often talked about living on Porchester Street in the late 50's before they bought their first house. They said it used to be a pub. The only pub I can find reference to on Porchester st is the Porchester arms. I also know that my moms sister and dads brother also lived there. Also my moms sister and her partner, so I am sure they lived in a former public house.

I have read through some of the thread you mention. If you can move the post it would be appreciated. Eager to find out more.

Regards
David

david i have taken a look on ancestry at the online electoral rolls and i cant find your parents living together anywhere in 1955...i have found a joseph...kathleen..florence...frederick and raymond G baugh all living at 92 dormington road perry barr in 1955 ?? when did your parents marry....?? ancestry only go up to 1955 with their e rolls but maybe other members who have access to other sites could check the 1960 e rolls for you

lyn

Hi, They married in 1959. I had another chat with my mum this afternoon and showed her a picture of the Porchester Arms and she said, that was where they lived. They lived on the first floor and her sister and hubby on the ground floor. You can't see the gates into the yard as the access is from the back.
They moved into the house she lives in now in 1960.
The house in Dormington rd is still there in the same condition and in the house opposite they still grow Chrysanthemums every year in the front garden.
Dad also lived at 26 Fentham Road after he came out of the Army.

Mum also talks of her older sister who sub let a flat in the Arms.

Regards
David

I've just checked the electoral register and time my parents lived there is not shown ie it shows 57' and then 62' so misses the time they lived there. However her sister betty is shown as living in Porchester street in 65' at number 59 which is one of the flats, and who I just remember visiting.

Back