• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Porchester Street

In the 1910 Kellys no 59 is listed as Mrs Sarah Hodgetts, beer retailer. this could be either a beerhouse (pub) or just an off licence, but the 1901 census lists it as a pub. It seems to have disappeared by the 1912 edition. Below is a map showing no 59 in red.

View attachment 140164
="mikejee, post: 666962, member: 3395"]
Hello, I am very interested in this map of Porchester Street, any idea of the date? Do you happen to know about a company called Jones and Willis who I believe were there from 1900? I notice a Joinery Works in the street and wonder if this could be it?

Hello, I am new to this site and am very interested in this picture. Do you know what was there before demolition?
Hello again, I have just seen on this site a map of Porchester Street, and can now see where this demolition was, and the houses which were demolished. I am trying to find out about a company called Jones and WIllis who I thought were in Porchester Street from about 1900 and I want to know when they left or if the factory was demolished. No problem.

Post 3 has some information, as does this thread:

In the 1910 Kellys no 59 is listed as Mrs Sarah Hodgetts, beer retailer. this could be either a beerhouse (pub) or just an off licence, but the 1901 census lists it as a pub. It seems to have disappeared by the 1912 edition. Below is a map showing no 59 in red.

View attachment 140164
"mikejee, post: 666962, member: 3395"]
Dear mikejee, thank you very much for posting this map - it has answered all my questions about Jones and Willis, as I can see where they were - a little way down Porchester Street at the bottom of the map on the right I can just make out 'Church Furniture Works' and that is J&W YIPPEE!! Now I must find out what is the date of the map, and what happened to the works after that. If you can throw any light on that I would be very grateful, but thanks soooo much for this. I have been searching for some time.

edmc
If you hover your mouse symbol over the map it should show that it is labelled c1950. this is publication date, and the survey will refer to before that, probably around 1948

edmc
If you hover your mouse symbol over the map it should show that it is labelled c1950. this is publication date, and the survey will refer to before that, probably around 1948
mikejee, post: 683617, member: 3395"]
I'm guessing that the buildings are no longer there? Do you know where I could find more info as to when and if they were demolished, what is there now, when the company came to Porchester St? I am surprised to see them on a map as late as 1948 as I thought the company had folded by then.
regards

Hello again Mikejee, referring to this map could you tell me what is written on the building at the far right bottom of the map junction Porchester Street and Summer Lane, I cannot read the name and wonder if you can, looks like '? works'? thanks

Hello again Mikejee, referring to this map could you tell me what is written on the building at the far right bottom of the map junction Porchester Street and Summer Lane, I cannot read the name and wonder if you can, looks like '? works'? thanks

its says anodising works

its says anodising works
Maybe he is referring to the other "works" on the other side, which says metal works...it was a metal stamping shop where my cousin worked before going to the button factory at the bottom of Furnace Lane.
Dave A

Can anybody please help with this query, The Porchester Arms is No. 96, the house just off the picture on the far right is No. 94, so what are the more modern looking houses (with the group of children in front). Were they part of The Porchester Arms? perhaps they did B&B. On the maps and Census/voters' list I can find no reference to houses between No. 94 & No. 96. Thank-you.

Attachments

• porchester-st3.jpg
    porchester-st3.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 38
  • porchetsre-st-upper-map.jpg
    porchetsre-st-upper-map.jpg
    688 KB · Views: 38
I don't know which company carried out this restoration to the J. R Pearson factory but they have done a superb job of matching the brickwork, windows etc., they deserve an award, so many buildings could have been 'saved' like this one.

Attachments

• jrpearson-2003-2020.jpg
    jrpearson-2003-2020.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
we were still there then we were the last to leave the street i was 12
Hi my name is Terry Harris my mum was Phyllis and my dad was Des, always playing on the bomb peck outside the crocodile works. We were at 62 porchester st in fact I got run over outside no 74 when I was 4 yrs old in 1964,
Despite this I still have happy memories of alma ST school and jumping the gardens out back.

Hi Terry, our paths must have crossed. I was born at 60 Porchester Street, we were neighbours also same age. We shared the wash house, toilets and the yard and entry. I am the little girl in the photo at the Porchester Arms, I just came out of the out door with sweets. I played on the bomb peck with all the others.

Hi Terry, our paths must have crossed. I was born at 60 Porchester Street, we were neighbours also same age. We shared the wash house, toilets and the yard and entry. I am the little girl in the photo at the Porchester Arms, I just came out of the out door with sweets. I played on the bomb peck with all the others.
how lovely jackie...old neighbours meeting up again

lyn

Back