• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Porchester Street

mike i have come across this so many times over the years...just the index cards but no photos.....i hasten to add that they would have gone missing when at the old library as they were not as strict as they are now with keeping tabs on them...some people are so inconsiderate as i had yet another fruitless trip to the library today well actually 2 trips as the first one i made last week was to go through the indexes then make an appointment to view the photos..really makes me mad as they have taken away history that should be shared...:(

Last edited:
mike i have come across this so many times over the years...just the index cards but no photos.....i hasten to add that they would have gone missing when at the old library as they were not as strict as they are now with keeping tabs on them...some people are so inconsiderate as i had yet another fruitless trip to the library today well actually 2 trips as the first one i made last week was to go through the indexes then make an appointment to view the photos..really makes me mad as they have taken away history that should be shared...:(

We have had the same problem here over the years, before a closer eye was kept on readers and the material they were consulting. Not only photos gone missing but whole books and sometimes maps and photos or whole articles cut out of books and journals (usually with a concealed razor blade) thereby depriving future researchers of this material.
Simon

This even happened at the ordnance survey. They no longer keep copies of historical maps themselves, its been contracted out, but when they did I had a long chat on the phone with the person responsible for them, and he said that the reason some areas (msinly the large scale town maps) were not available from them was that at one time people were allowed to access the map room relatively unsupervised, and a number "disappeared"

simon and mike...its a sad state of affairs as it is depriving others of their history:(

lyn

IMG_0372.JPG Hi folks, can you please tell me where this is. It looks like the top of Porchester Street, with Clifford St going across. I may be wrong. Lyn was there a Salvation Army or church at the top of Porchester St, only my sisters attended the Brownies. I use to see a lot of nuns when I lived there. Hope I am on the right thread.

jackie as mike has said it porchester st...maybe you could ask about the salvation army on the porchester st thread as you may get more reponse as i dont know the answer to that one...the sally army i attended was in nurery road and we also saw a lot of nuns around as i lived close to st marys convent but that is quite a way from porchester st

lyn

couple of pics of porchester st folks....if anyone has anymore would love to see them.
pic 1 shows alma st school on the right...i went there for the first 6 months of my school years

lyn
View attachment 105803 Phyllis Nicklin photo, 1968, Porchester Street and Furnace Lane on right.
I can't believe I used to climb up and sit on that red post box on the left. It was on the corner of Porchester and Denmark streets. Does anyone have a pic of Denmark Street? Can't find one anywhere!!

2 photos for jackie of the porchester arms corner of porchester st

lyn

Newtown_1_46_The_Porchester_Arms_Porchester_Street_Ansells_29-10-1959.jpg Newtown_1_47_The_Porchester_Arms_Porchester_Street_Ansells_26-9-1966.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you very much Lyn. Much happier now. Yes those were the ones. I have save them to my iPad. Thank you. Your a treasure.

Jackie

Last edited by a moderator:
I was heading to find the Lucas lion sculpture on Wheeler Street. Once I found that, I got a bus back into town.

Back