• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Porchester arms...

#1 yes lyn i think you are right about furnace lane. In the 50s when i was took to the matinee at The Orient with my brother and sister they always took short cuts coming back to Paddington St and i was scared stiff of going down there as i was petrified of dogs and as i remember there were plenty about.

yes lyn you are right it was furnace lane , i recognised it at the bottom of the gully in the pic there used to be a green grocers there at the bottom of the street

Hi dave,cant remember, i can remember the fishers, doodies, lordons, hadley sandra lane, venessa Delaney, picketts, morrises. homers, barretts lived at the back of us. we were at 33 what number did the hudsons live at and can you give me some first names .

marie
My cousins were Joyce & Margaret (Peggy) Hudson, they lived at #23, next door to the Morrises. If you were at #33, then you lived next door to Emily Powis.

Dave A

Hi dave, i got it mixed up i lived at 83. the morrisons lived over the wall. morrisons. lily lordons, connie picketts .and cannot remember the other one it must have been hudsons, i will ask maggie Lordon she may remember them, joyce newton lived next door to us she had a son stephen, my sister beat him up, and he was so scared of her she blamed me and he agreed i got a good hiding for it lol lol

my dads friend was the Morris's up until he died wonder if it was same people

marie moore

Last edited:
dated 1966

Newtown_1_47_The_Porchester_Arms_Porchester_Street_Ansells_26-9-1966.jpg
dated 1966

dated 1966

Hi Astoness, this is fascinating I maybe the little girl in the photo, also there is another photo on the doorstep and I have the same clothes on. I had just come out the outdoor with sweets. If not me definitely my sister. I was born at 60 Porchester St.

hi jackie welcome to the forum...this is what we always hope for...that some of our members maybe on the photos we post...maybe someone in your family could confirm if its you or your sister..either way its fantastic...we do have a porchester st thread showing some of the houses..yours could well be on one of them..i was born round the corner in paddington st

lyn

hi jackie welcome to the forum...this is what we always hope for...that some of our members maybe on the photos we post...maybe someone in your family could confirm if its you or your sister..either way its fantastic...we do have a porchester st thread showing some of the houses..yours could well be on one of them..i was born round the corner in paddington st

lyn
Thank you I find the forum very interesting. I asked my sister because I thought it was her, she says it's me, but looking at another photo of myself up the entry with my mom, I compared it to it, the back to back with toilets and wash house. We always roamed the street in them days. That's what we did in them days made our own entertainment. I remember playing with Christine Fisher her brothers were Donald forgot the other. My sisters were older than me Ann and Jean they played with the Doodies, Woods, O'Toole and others. Did you know a lady names Olive she lived at the top end of the st. We all went to Alma school, I didn't attend for long due to the demolition. We moved but came back to the new Newtown which is the old Aston. My mom and dad was Anastasia (Ann) and Allan, 5 children. Thanks again interesting site.

sorry jackie i dont know any of the people you have mentioned but other members may do.. i left paddington st aged about 6..i also attended alma st school up until that age then went to farm st school and lozells girls..

lyn

sorry jackie i dont know any of the people you have mentioned but other members may do.. i left paddington st aged about 6..i also attended alma st school up until that age then went to farm st school and lozells girls..

lyn
I also left when I was about 6. My name Jacqueline (Jackie for short). I must of seen you on the street. Left Alma st school to live in Castle Vale, then moved back in Feb 1970, to attend William Cooper. Then Holte Comprehensive.

hi jackie yes our paths must have crossed at some time..you most likely know this but william cooper and holte schools have long since gone...loved my time at farm st and lozells girls..happy days:)

lyn

Hi Lyn, I passed down Wheeler St, yes all changed now, transformation. The other picture I as comparing at 60 Porchester St, with girl on doorstep and the Porchester Arms are the same person, was posted on Phil's - Moderator staff member.

Thanks Lyn

Hi Lyn , I was referring to another photo, I don't know the number. I saw it on Phil's thread. I have seen the one you mentioned, it's not that one. Great site, loving it.

Hi Lyn, I do apologise only I have found the post I was looking for, it's on Neighbours & Streets page 15 . The 1st is the pub, other me on doorstep. I have sent a message to you, hope that's how it works, all new. Not sure if photos are allowed. I attempted to email one but not successful.

Back