• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Poppy seller robbed

M

mike-g

I know this has nothing to do with Birmingham BUT.

An 86 year blind old poppy seller was robbed of about £300.0 when he put the bag containing poppies and money down in Rugby town center. A 14 year old boy has been arrested. The money was replaced by a local business man.

Mike I just saw that on the news..I felt so sorry for him ..these youngsters that do things like this need to be taught a real lesson.. not just a smack on the wrists and off you go to do it again.it makes my blood boil when you see them laughing as they come from court

Hi MIKE-G just to balance that awful piece of bad news yesterday outside the ASDA store at STEVENAGE(herts)i got talking to the poppy seller ,he looked froze so i treated him to a coffee,i didn't recognise the medal he was wearing so i asked him what regiment he was in,he replied none its for 30yrs service selling poppies he said more people are giving this year than any other year he can remember.he gets on the railway station at 6-30am till9am then after b/fast he gets to ASDA at 9-30 till 5or6 cheers
33bus tom:)

33Bus: That's a great story and he deserves a medal. Lovely gesture to buy him a hot coffee that's a very long stint in the cold. Thieves try and steal charitable donations like the Christmas Kettles for the Salvation Army and we had a fellow last year who was going into shops where a donation box was on the counter and he got filmed putting his jacket over the box and then walking out! Arrrrgh

We had a real problem with this in Lincoln last year and the year before. The shops took to chaining the collection box to the till. These people - if you could catch them - should have to face families who have lost loved ones serving their country and explain their despicable actions.

Well said Norma--our Christian society is based on forgiveness, not revenge or anger.

I think I may have posted a similar story earlier this year...
One of our RSA (Returned Servicemen's Association) centres was robbed of all their Poppy's and empty collection tins that were being gotten ready for April 25 ANZAC Day here in N.Z.

The police had no chance of catching the thieves, because lots of people young and old stand on corners selling them and the tins had no real markings to say what area, or which centre they belonged to.
These thieves got away with over Three thousand dollars worth and may have got more from generous folk who paid more than the normal $2 asked for.
A businessman did reimburse the centre for their loss, but that was not the point and this on top of around Christmas last year all The Service Medals (Victoria Crosses and the like) being stolen from the Military Museum. The medals were priceless, however they were returned intact after a UK chap posted an enormous reward for information leading to their recovery, the thieves were caught and are now awaiting trial.

Chris/Pom :angel:

Ive just read in this mornigs paper that thieves have stolen the bikes belonging to the 2 boys from the Statham family who were all killed in a traffic accident on the M6 last month. I am lost for words.

Back