• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

poppies

gingerjon

master brummie
I hope you like this

Yes Poppies still grow
Poppies still grow in fields where soldiers fell
Soldiers whose stories, they can never tell
Poppies still grow to remind us of this hell
The wind bows the poppies head
To remind of those things never said
The poppies in flower like a sea of blood
Did this war of mankind do us any good
Poppies die at the end of their time
Just like the soldiers yours and mine
The seed of the poppy falls to the ground
Waiting for Remembrance Day to come around
Yes poppies still grow to remember the past
If only we could get peace to last
Poppies still grow in those fields of red
Yes poppies still grow to remember the dead

That is so nice John. :)

I love poppies and have ones the size of dinner plate in the garden in the early summer. O0

Last edited:
Did we choose the right symbol with the Poppy as now it has been hijacked by the drug trade? in the future what will kids know about the poppy
A symbol for the lost generation or a symbol for the drug generation
All in All Nice poem John

Very meaningful poem John. The words flow together so well. I hope that generations to come will realize that the poppy was picked as a symbol for war for very special reasons. It's an important symbol and hopefully it will keep it's meaning over the years to come.

Canada lost seven soldiers in Kandahar during the last 11 days, where the country has sent many soldiers for a variety of duties, and it's heartwrenching to see them come home in coffins. America, for the most part has stopped reporting their casualties in the main press but I often check The List on the Drudge Report page where they are all listed day by day.

Back