• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

"Pop up box"

jimbo

master brummie
Is anyone else experiencing a "pop up box" appearing on the left hand side of the screen each time they look at any of the forum posts?
I tried to log on and received a message telling me it was not allowed and to contact an administrator which I have explaining the problem about the "pop up box"

It is oblong in shape and contains among other things a graphic of the American States, several lines of information, Related Searches, Social Networking, Internet Forum Software etc; and at the bottom, Bill of Rights for Users of the Social Web. Is this something to do with the forum or a rogue site? Any help/knowledge gratefully accepted.
jimbo

Can you give us some more info please such as which Browser you use etc/ I am not getting the pop up that you describe when using Chrome?

Hi Jim - This morning I have accessed the forum using the following browsers with the following results -

Opera - No Pop Up
Google Chrome - No Pop Up
IE10 - No Pop Up
Mozilla Firefox - No Pop Up

So if you could press your 'PrtScrn' button [whilst the Pop Up is displayed] and post the resulting image it would be a help in members being able to offer suggestions.

Is anyone else experiencing a "pop up box" appearing on the left hand side of the screen each time they look at any of the forum posts?
I tried to log on and received a message telling me it was not allowed and to contact an administrator which I have explaining the problem about the "pop up box"

It is oblong in shape and contains among other things a graphic of the American States, several lines of information, Related Searches, Social Networking, Internet Forum Software etc; and at the bottom, Bill of Rights for Users of the Social Web. Is this something to do with the forum or a rogue site? Any help/knowledge gratefully accepted.
jimbo

Hi Jimbo, I had a similar problem recently & had to reset my browser (Firefox) Depending on which browser you use, google how to reset that browser & follow instructions. It was very simple on Firefox. HTH Also Malwarebytes free is a very good malware finder.

Gentlemen, thank you for your responses. BernardR, I am using Google and will try and capture an image using the PrtScrn button, and I also get the "pop up" on my email account. wam, will try running anti virus, although I have Norton and I also run Ccleaner before each log on. Smudger, will try and reset my browser, so, fingers crossed something will work.

BernardR, have pressed PrtScrn button and I don't think any image has been captured, trying again

Gentlemen, thank you for your responses. BernardR, I am using Google and will try and capture an image using the PrtScrn button, and I also get the "pop up" on my email account. wam, will try running anti virus, although I have Norton and I also run Ccleaner before each log on. Smudger, will try and reset my browser, so, fingers crossed something will work.

BernardR, have pressed PrtScrn button and I don't think any image has been captured, trying again

Hi jimbo, you have to press the alt key + prtsc key to copy the image, & then paste it. Try to paste it on wordpad or similar to make sure it`s worked.

We have checked out the site settings and everything is working as it should be at this end.

Gentlemen, it looks like running Malwarebytes has solved my problem (been on the forum for 10 minutes now and no sign of a pop up), also just been on my email and again no pop up. BernardR , sorry I could not send an image (not very techno, Smudger, copy and paste???).

Thank you all once again for all suggestions and help.
A very grateful
jimbo

Gentlemen, it looks like running Malwarebytes has solved my problem (been on the forum for 10 minutes now and no sign of a pop up), also just been on my email and again no pop up. BernardR , sorry I could not send an image (not very techno, Smudger, copy and paste???).

Copy & paste are very useful & simple tools. Try right clicking on a image & in the dialogue box that appears simple click copy & the image is saved to your clipboard. Then if you want to put that image onto a message for instance, simply right click again & in the dialogue box that appears simply click paste & the image magically appears. Sorry if it sounds complicated but it`s not, it`s dead easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Smudger, thank you for hat tip. I a quite useless at the techno bits but very willing to learn. Will try it out on the family first.
jimbo

If you are running Windows 7 try the built in 'Snipping Tool' which lets you copy parts of the screen or all of it. It also lets you save the snip as a image entitled 'capture.jpg'.
I pin it to the task bar so it's always available for immediate use.

HI OM - I did not suggest the Snipping tool as the image needs to be a stable one to capture by 'Snipping'.

Smudger 'PrtScrn' should work without the need to press the 'Alt' key nowadays - well does on my PC. I forgot to mention it will need to be 'Pasted' into a photo editor..

Hi Bernard - I just tried Snipping a bit from the moving picture of 'Strictly Come Dancing' on iPlayer and it captured the frame from the moving pic. One thing with Snipping is a photo editor is not needed because it will save a jpg image, but we all use whatever we get comfortable with.
oldmohawk

HI OM - I did not suggest the Snipping tool as the image needs to be a stable one to capture by 'Snipping'.

Smudger 'PrtScrn' should work without the need to press the 'Alt' key nowadays - well does on my PC. I forgot to mention it will need to be 'Pasted' into a photo editor..

Thanks for putting me right about prtsc Bernard Always happy to learn. Never tried the snipping tool ( didn`t know i had one!! ) Will give it a go if i can find it.

Never tried the snipping tool ( didn`t know i had one!! ) Will give it a go if i can find it.
Easiest way to find it if you have not seen it before is hit 'start button' bottom left of screen and type the word snipping in the search box. It will then appear at the top of the search list where you can click on it. It came with Windows so you've already paid for it ! Once you have found it, pin it to your bottom task bar it is then available for instant use so you don't have to look for it again.

Here is a snip capture of my task bar and the snip icon is 6th icon across next to the Chrome icon.
Capture~1.JPG

Last edited:
Easiest way to find it if you have not seen it before is hit 'start button' bottom left of screen and type the word snipping in the search box. It will then appear at the top of the search list where you can click on it. It came with Windows so you've already paid for it ! Once you have found it, pin it to your bottom task bar it is then available for instant use so you don't have to look for it again.

Here is a snip capture of my task bar and the snip icon is 6th icon across next to the Chrome icon.
Capture~1.JPG

Thanks for that info oldMohawk. That`s two things i`ve learned today. If i carry on like this i`ll be as clever as my dog!! ( fat chance )

There's a difference between Print Screen and Alt-Print Screen. Without the Alt you get the whole screen, with it you just get the contents of the current window you're working on. If you have several windows visible (not filling the screen) you'll be able to see the difference.

Back