• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Poole, Winifred Carrie b.1904

Joom

proper brummie kid
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for Winifred Carrie Poole, b.1904 d/o Frederick Thomas POOLE and Selina Taylor. I know that Winnie was orphaned in 1907 when her parents died within a month of each other. Winnie and two of her sisters Violet b.1898 and Alice b.1901 were also placed in Marston Green Homes and can be seen on the 1911 census there. I do know that Winnies brother Christopher George Poole b.1885 took in the rest of Winnies siblings, whether he just couldn't afford to keep 3 more children or he just took the ones that could earn a wage I guess we'll never know. I would be grateful if anyone could suggest where I could look next. Not sure if there are any admission books for MGH or not, though I suspect that if there are then it'd be a trip into Birmingham, and that is about an hour away from where I live.

hi joom...well you seem to have got most things covered expect for the admissions book for MGH...i think i am correct in saying that the library of birmingham may hold those records so yes a trip would be advisable or better still contact them first to find out if they do have the records...you are lucky in the respect that i dont thing the 100 year ruling applies so you should be able to view any records...

is there anything else we can help with..i am subbed to ancestry

lyn

Hi Lyn,
Thank you for the kind offer, I do have a sub myself so have been able to search the records. Just not been able to go anywhere to physically look at records. I will email BL with regards to MGH. I have been quite fortunate in finding records for this family and previous families. Though they all seemed to live on and around Inge Street, next to the Back to Backs, so presumably they weren't very well off.

oh thats good news as a lot of us struggle to follow the family through many brick wall and all that....yes i would think a lot of folk were not too well off around the inge st area mind you a lot of brum was like that...good luck with the records hope you find them...if you are interested i think there maybe one or two old photos of inge st on the forum..any problems let us know

lyn

oh thats good news as a lot of us struggle to follow the family through many brick wall and all that....yes i would think a lot of folk were not too well off around the inge st area mind you a lot of brum was like that...good luck with the records hope you find them...if you are interested i think there maybe one or two old photos of inge st on the forum..any problems let us know

lyn

Hi Lyn,
Thank you for the well wishes, I have been researching my family tree for 20+ years, but it's only recently that I have plonked my feet firmly in the water. I have been around the Back to Backs and it wasn't until I looked at the addresses where family lived that I kind of 'clicked' that it was the same place!.. I must say that it is really lovely to be able to walk in the same places as my relatives, though I do realise that much of the area has been heavily re-developed since then.

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for Winifred Carrie Poole, b.1904 d/o Frederick Thomas POOLE and Selina Taylor. I know that Winnie was orphaned in 1907 when her parents died within a month of each other. Winnie and two of her sisters Violet b.1898 and Alice b.1901 were also placed in Marston Green Homes and can be seen on the 1911 census there. I do know that Winnies brother Christopher George Poole b.1885 took in the rest of Winnies siblings, whether he just couldn't afford to keep 3 more children or he just took the ones that could earn a wage I guess we'll never know. I would be grateful if anyone could suggest where I could look next. Not sure if there are any admission books for MGH or not, though I suspect that if there are then it'd be a trip into Birmingham, and that is about an hour away from where I live.
hi i am related to this poole family im winifreds niece.My grand father would never take a sibling just for money. He was a father his self and did his best , as there was no help and he was the only one working. Please get in touch with me and i may be able to shine some light for you xx keep safe xx

Back