• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Poole James

theodore

master brummie
Private 52220 James Poole 1st Garrison Battalion, Worcestershire Regiment died at home 27th April 1918 and is burried in Witton Cemetery, Birmingham. My mother told me years ago that a relative (Poole) of hers, a serving soldier (WW1) was burried in Witton. The above mentioned being the only Poole I have found from CWGC details (burried in Witton Cemetery) but what is the family connection (if any)? I can find no details in the direct line of the Poole family but could he be a cousin of my grandmother?
Thomas Poole b. 1829 m. Rebecca Morrall 1850
Charles William Poole b. 1864 (son of Thomas and Rebecca) m. Elizabeth Trowman 1884
Sarah Rebecca Poole b. 1892 (daughter of Charles and Elizabeth and my grandmother)
Could the above James be a the relative my mother remembered?

Regards

Peter

Re: James Poole

If he died in this country maybe his death certificate would be helpful.

I can't find a death for him in Warwickshire, but I don't really understand the Screen Wall Memorial explanation on the CWGC site for Witton Cemetery.

I have looked for Military records for this James Poole but can find none with the service number.
He must have died in Uk or he would be buried or on a memorial in Europe.
Whilst he is buried in Witton he could have died elsewhere in UK as there is no death record for James Poole Birmingham,1918.
There were many military hospitals in Hampshire and there is a death for James Poole 1918 in Fareham age 19.
There are a few births of James Poole ,Birmingham 1899.

As Mike says I cannot understand him being on the Memorial in Witton,surely he should have a gravestone.

The 1st Garrison Battalion,Worcester Regiment was formed in 1916 Portsmouth,went to Isle of Wight 1917 and back to Portsmouth 1918.
Garrison battalions were often formed of men who for some reason or another were unable to go into combat.

Last edited:

Hi Mike and Alberta,

Thank you both for your replies.

Mike, your right the logical starting point for me would be to get a death certificate for James Poole died 27th April 1918.

Alberta, the death of a James Poole in Fareham with the 1st Garrison Battalion next door at Portsmouth looks a likely contender. But he must have some connection to Birmingham with him being on the Screen Wall Memorial at Witton but like you say why no gravestone. Could he be burried in Fareham?

I found no service records for him but many were destroyed in a German bombing raid in 1940 but I would have thought that he would have had a Medal Index Card. Maybe he wasn't entitled to any medals not serving aboard or seeing action.

Regards

Peter

Back