• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pom

Di.Poppitt

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Food was short duing the war, and everybody dug their garden and grew what they could around the anderson shelters. It got worse after the war was over, and in the late 40's I began to stay at school at lunch time; I think mom was relieved to have one less meal to find. Pretty soon potatos
were hard to get and the government found a substitute called Pom. (No not our Pom) :D It looked like mashed potato but it tasted like wallpaper paste. :cry: I think most of it went into the pig bin after the first day, because none of us could eat it, and we asked for 'half a spoonful please.' :D

Diana, showing my age again, but I too remember the awful Pom. In the 1960's Cadburys brought out Smash, another version of Pom, does anyone recall the adverts of Martians falling about laughing at Smash?
Ironic or what.

Oh yes Sylvia, I do remeber the ad. :D I laugh when I think of it now. We had some Ameriacan friends staying at the time and they were convulsed every time it appeared.

during the war we had tinned bacon which was delicious dried eggs which I really enjoyed and pom what a meal mmmmmmmmmm
and another one was tomoto dips from Goodwins cafe next door to Harpers in Park lane she use to have every think in a big pan eggs bacon sausage beans and tomatoes sizzlering away then she would dunk a nice thick piece of bread (no sliced loafs then) into this steaming concoction with bits of every think from the pan on this bread and to finish it of a dollop of HP sauce and all for a penny nothing tastes like it today what have they done to our food ?

John Houghton said:
during the war we had tinned bacon which was delicious dried eggs which I really enjoyed and pom what a meal mmmmmmmmmm
and another one was tomoto dips from Goodwins cafe next door to Harpers in Park lane she use to have every think in a big pan eggs bacon sausage beans and tomatoes sizzlering away then she would dunk a nice thick piece of bread (no sliced loafs then) into this steaming concoction with bits of every think from the pan on this bread and to finish it of a dollop of HP sauce and all for a penny nothing tastes like it today what have they done to our food ?

Sadly all the food these days is mass produced, often dehydrated "homogenised, sterilised rubbish that has colour added flavor added etc, nothing like the home cooked fair grandmother used to put on each sunday is it, no additives needed ... and sweets? where are the tarts, scones and jam with cream gone?

Not one cafe here in oz wouldn't know what it is to have a hot scone the size of a tea saucer heaped with raspberry jam and piled with fresh cream!! I miss my nana at times like these!!!!! :) ( mind you she died in 1968) !!!

Never mind Shannon think of it this way nice food always reminds you of your nana and she always reminds you the good grub of long ago so you will never forget her and that's a good thing we must all keep and share our memories

I'm not a meat eater, but oh the fried bread. Fried until it's crisp.

You can still get scones and cream here Shannon, still called cream tea.
At Christmas I treat Sally our daughter to a trip to the theatre in London, and a few ago she was here on holiday and as an extra treat we went to the Waldorf for tea. We had the cream tea, and the bill was £24. :D Almost worth it seeing my home sick daughter loving every minute.

ShannonN,

Welcome. I don't recall seeing you here before... you haven't got a twin called Kandor, have you? :lol:

John, did you have eggs in icinglass, not sure of the spellling. If the chickens laid and you had a lot of eggs they were kept in glass jars in this solution. Then there were the dried apple rings, mom used to put them in the oven at the side of the fire and we ate them hot.

Diana.Poppitt said:
I'm not a meat eater, but oh the fried bread. Fried until it's crisp.

You can still get scones and cream here Shannon, still called cream tea.
At Christmas I treat Sally our daughter to a trip to the theatre in London, and a few ago she was here on holiday and as an extra treat we went to the Waldorf for tea. We had the cream tea, and the bill was £24. :D Almost worth it seeing my home sick daughter loving every minute.

24 pounds um ab. 60 AUD!!! for scones and tea - wow!! your Sally must be special indeed! (just like her mum I imagine!! :) good on yer I'm sure it made you feel like royalty and bet ya enjoyed every last bit

paulJ said:
ShannonN,

Welcome. I don't recall seeing you here before... you haven't got a twin called Kandor, have you? :lol:

Thanks PaulJ
Been on the forum here and there since april or may, not a pom ( Aussie) but toured UK/Europe extensivly in 88 and have english/scots blood and just love hearing bout old world charm things form yesteryear - no twin , heaven forbid! 2 of Shanny!! :eek:

Cheers

Diana.Poppitt said:
Food was short duing the war, and everybody dug their garden and grew what they could around the anderson shelters. It got worse after the war was over, and in the late 40's I began to stay at school at lunch time; I think mom was relieved to have one less meal to find. Pretty soon potatos
were hard to get and the government found a substitute called Pom. (No not our Pom) :D It looked like mashed potato but it tasted like wallpaper paste. :cry: I think most of it went into the pig bin after the first day, because none of us could eat it, and we asked for 'half a spoonful please.' :D

I remember in the late 60's early seventies here in Oz - White Wings, I think it was, brought out a instant mashed potoes stuff called "Deb" wasn't all that bad if ya put a bit of butter and made with milk

Back