• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pollitts Garage 20 Great Hampton St

That is interesting Eric, I recall my Dad (who passed away 3 years ago at 93) telling me that Herbert started with a repair garage, on Great Hampton St, and then moved premises at some point slightly further down the road on the same side towards town. I only recall vaguely the garage, but like you with no petrol pumps and that would have been in the late 1950's. More photos may help! Agree with you how sad the old buildings are looking in such a state.

hi nick all you have to do is save that photo to your computer..if you have a printer you can then print off a copy..if you would like either phil or myself to email it to you just send your email address to one of us via our private message system (inbox top right of the page)

nice photo carolina as you say we can just see the garage on the right

lyn
Thanks Lyn, just printed the photo, its come out well. Thanks to Carolina too. Nick.

That is interesting Eric, I recall my Dad (who passed away 3 years ago at 93) telling me that Herbert started with a repair garage, on Great Hampton St, and then moved premises at some point slightly further down the road on the same side towards town. I only recall vaguely the garage, but like you with no petrol pumps and that would have been in the late 1950's. More photos may help! Agree with you how sad the old buildings are looking in such a state.
My is Tom Hames i worked at garage winter of 1962, white boiler suit and all. Cleaned office, rode bike through snow for parts A T Gittens, Lacouters and other places. Remember someone called Aubrey and the forman. Also new ford cortina in small body shop smashed up, we used to have our tea breaks in there. Telephone in workshop always ringing, i never got message, always made mistakes. Started there at age of 15, 1/11 an hour i recall, left shortly afterwards, so cold on that bike in white boiler suit.

My is Tom Hames i worked at garage winter of 1962, white boiler suit and all. Cleaned office, rode bike through snow for parts A T Gittens, Lacouters and other places. Remember someone called Aubrey and the forman. Also new ford cortina in small body shop smashed up, we used to have our tea breaks in there. Telephone in workshop always ringing, i never got message, always made mistakes. Started there at age of 15, 1/11 an hour i recall, left shortly afterwards, so cold on that bike in white boiler suit.
My mum took me for interview and was given AZ and asked by secretary, small woman to find street in jewellery quarter, got the job. Can recall fetching sandwiches from cafe just down the road, Constitution Hill carrying billy can, bitter sweet times. I recall Scottish man Eddie Mc Graith, sold me wooden tool box for ten bob.

Apologies Tom, only just picked this up 3 years on! Can you recall the actual address of Pollitts Garage, and did it have petrol pumps? Thank you, Nick.

Back