• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Polishing Shop in Farm Street

H

harborne

Does anyone remember the little polishing place in Farm Street? There used to be a guy called Alf worked there. Dad had a part-time job there at nights after his day job and we used to go in with him and play with the chrome jaguars for the cars. I can remember the filthy black brushes they used and the way the place used to shake when the machinery was on. The floorboards were black with grime and there were big boxes of stuff waiting to be polished or ready to go.

Hi Mike, it was up the top end, round the corner from Baines bakers at the junction of Hunters Road. You walked down Farm St a little way (can't remember how far but it was only two or three doors down as I recall). It was only a little place - one of those houses converted into factories places I think.

I must have past it a lot; I had a part time job when I was at school at Charlie Bull's at Hockley Brook but I can't remember it

Don't worry about it Mike, I bet no-one can remember it now.

Back