• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Police Site Tally Ho! to change beyond recognition.

Mrs Bear 51

master brummie
I have just been informed, and I don't know how cast in stone it is, or how far along the plans are, but there is some suggestion that the new West Midlands Chief Constable is to have all the tennis courts, football pitch, cricket pitch and bowling lawn tarmacked over to be made into parking spaces.

It is also suggested that he will close all the bars/amenities there, with the rationale being the whole site will be made into a full-time Training Centre so they can get out of Ryton and Cosford.

So apart from it being an absolute disgrace (and if I knew who to object to I would), if anyone feels they want to go and do some photos before it is ripped up to be changed beyond recognition, then now might be the time.

I hope this source of this info has got it all wrong!

I have just been informed, and I don't know how cast in stone it is, or how far along the plans are, but there is some suggestion that the new West Midlands Chief Constable is to have all the tennis courts, football pitch, cricket pitch and bowling lawn tarmacked over to be made into parking spaces.

It is also suggested that he will close all the bars/amenities there, with the rationale being the whole site will be made into a full-time Training Centre so they can get out of Ryton and Cosford.

So apart from it being an absolute disgrace (and if I knew who to object to I would), if anyone feels they want to go and do some photos before it is ripped up to be changed beyond recognition, then now might be the time.

it does sound somewhat extreme mrs bear...hopefully someone can find out for certain

lyn

I can confirm, from a trusted source, that this is correct.

The tennis courts are already no longer in use and are being used as a car park and, as it currently stands, by mid/end of November this year the whole site will be permanently closed to the general public and will be for police use only.

The bowling green and cricket pitches will no longer be used, apart from parking, but a football pitch will be retained for the police to use.

All the staff in the conference centre will lose their jobs and the social amenities will no longer exist.

Apparently, riot training which is currently done at Cosford will start to be done at Tally Ho.

Calthorpe Estates do indeed own the site and any plan to tarmac the site would have to be agreed with them. There has been no talk about doing this at this time.

I hope this helps

I can confirm, from a trusted source, that this is correct.

The tennis courts are already no longer in use and are being used as a car park and, as it currently stands, by mid/end of November this year the whole site will be permanently closed to the general public and will be for police use only.

The bowling green and cricket pitches will no longer be used, apart from parking, but a football pitch will be retained for the police to use.

All the staff in the conference centre will lose their jobs and the social amenities will no longer exist.

Apparently, riot training which is currently done at Cosford will start to be done at Tally Ho.

Calthorpe Estates do indeed own the site and any plan to tarmac the site would have to be agreed with them. There has been no talk about doing this at this time.

I hope this helps
Thank you for taking the trouble to find out and respond - sad time indeed!

Further confirmation of what I posted above earlier in the year…

So sad... a friend who is connected to some West Mids Police sporting clubs said the new Chief Constable has been told to save money and he doesn't care who he upsets in doing so.

I have not lived in Birmingham for many years, but always thought of Tally Ho as to do with the police, not banquetting. Nothing wrong with hiring out space when free for outside people to help finances, but banquetting must be (or SHOULD BE) completely outside the remit of the police. The chief constable should concentrate his efforts on crime not entertaining

I have not lived in Birmingham for many years, but always thought of Tally Ho as to do with the police, not banquetting. Nothing wrong with hiring out space when free for outside people to help finances, but banquetting must be (or SHOULD BE) completely outside the remit of the police. The chief constable should concentrate his efforts on crime not entertaining
I think that is exactly what he is doing. The place will be closed to members of the public, all the staff from the conference suite/banqueting centre and bar are losing their jobs.

To be honest I agree with Mikejee. I am not the least bit surprised, criticism of the Police has been running rife of late. This is primarily a training centre and needs to be reclaimed in order to expand their training of officers and meet there target of reducing their overall costs by a £30m target this year. Personally I think it is a good thing and can only lead to an improved and better police force. Feel a bit sorry for the bowls club though, but at least they have found a new home at Selly Park tavern who have a vacant bowling green.

Back