• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Police Service Records

Natalie Coton

Hi can someone please tell me where i can get police service records for between 1851 and 1871. in the 1851 census his occupation was police sergeant and he lived in Duke st Birmingham. i've tried the Police museum in birmingham but it states on main page that the museum does not currently have a curator, due to the recent retirement of Mr D Cross.

Hi Natalie
That is a real shame - the museum is only open 1 or 2 days a year - I managed to get hold of police records through Dave Cross - his email was [email protected] but I guess, if he has retired, this may not reach him. Is is worth writing/emailing to West Midlands Police at their Head Office - Lloyd House, Birmingham and ask if someone is likely to take over? there were a couple of community officers who volunteered on the open day, so someone may be taking over? such a shame as their records and memorabilia are really interesting. My GG Grandfather's records were emailed to me - at a small charge, What was your ancestor's name? good luck, Jo

If the Museum cannot be kept open the City Museums and Central Library must intervene as there is too much there of vital importance. For example all the index cards of careers of officers in the Birmingham Police and the aliens registers for those who came under the definition in the First World War (these are like a census return for the 'Brummie Germans').

Hi all,

I have tried to reach the Police Museum as well, a number of times over the past 6 months or so but get no reply to email or phone. A real shame since I have two ancestors who served in the 1850s and otherwise I am at a dead end. If anyone hears of any progress on access to the museum's records I'd be grateful to hear about it.

Best wishes,
Ann-Marie

My father served as a Birmingham city police officer, he transffered from Oxford city police in 1937, I got his records from Oxford in 48 hrs, I have tried many times to obtain his records from both dave cross and the police without success in Birmingham not even getting an acknowledgment. This is a a totally unacceptable situation and should be sorted out, but I can tell you all I have been trying since 2009 without success.
paul

It's the usual problem when someone finishes. When we have difficult times volunteers are always hard to find. At the end of the day it costs them time and money with often little reward. It would be great if it could be taken over by a group of retried police officers maybe. I for one would love to visit the museum if it could be re opened. I would help if I didn't live so far away! Hope we hear some news soon.

I thought under the "freedom of information act", that these records should be available by right to the relations or next of kin. That other Police authorities have easy access and help to these records is a shame and blemish on the Birmingham police, and should be rectified forthwith as I said before this is an ongoing problem and is not recent but years old. I contacted the Garda information at Dublin castle about my grandfathers records and received the documents and by registered post in 4 days, and Oxford as stated before in 48hrs.
paul

This would account for the fact that I have been unable to get hold of Dave Cross, I have been trying to get information regarding my great grandfather Walter Long who served at Ladywood in the early 1900's. I hope that someone else takes over, and that the museum reopens soon, then I can send my sister along to visit and hopefully get the information we require.
Sylvia

what a pity that the police museum is no longer open i wanted to go and visit it this year...just wondering if the police service records are also held at the central library archives...

lyn

My great grandad was a prison warden at Winson Green prison..... any idea how/ where I can info on this?? His surname was RICHARDSON . Sorry to jump on your thread!

G'father served 1913-17, 19-41 (E280) + g'uncle (A155) 1912-17 (d. France 18)
Posts on here are very sad to read. I did get both men's files 20 years ago from David Cross, a super ex curator, motivated, knowledgable and thorough.
Record profiles changed 1913 after which they became extra-ordinarily detailed. My G'fathers files runs into some 40 pages. They contain:
References to join service
Test results for entry, character ass't
Prior employment.
Ht, weight, family, birthplace
War service, medals, regiment + number
Promotions, salary, even reprimands- G'father left a drunk to sleep it off rather than report.
Notable achievements ie G'father awarded guinea for stopping a runaway horse.
Medical treatment. G'father suggested from stomach ulcer so consultants reports, treatment results etc- every letter.
Release from service due to ill health and pension.
Photo of him 1940.
So yes it's all there for those who's ancestors served in the Birmingham Police. The personnel files are a goldmine for fam history research, and it is little short of criminal to deprive descendants of access to them, even if the reasons are understood.
Russ

Would anybody be able to help me point in the direction and what to do to trace my great Grandfather Arthur Joseph Richardson ( some known as Joseph Arthur also.
(1884-1950 ) I believe he was a prison warden at Winston Green Prison in Birmingham....
Any help wound really be fantastic and much appreciated. Sarah

Is this nonsense still on going, some one needs a rocket, it should have been sorted years ago. the mind boggles. Paul

Back