• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Police Service Records

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Colin,

Thanks for the information, I was wondering if any one could ask the "Desk Sargent" about the museum as it would seem that a number people would like to obtain information about their past police relatives

Regards

Ron

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the information, I was wondering if any one could ask the "Desk Sargent" about the museum as it would seem that a number people would like to obtain information about their past police relatives

Regards

Ron

I am in the same boat looking for my great uncle George Finch Dudley then Coventry about 1940- 1960's

I don't think they do Desk Sargents any more, if Cambridge is anything to go on I don't think they do Police stations either.Paul

Hi paul and casta
They do not refers to the desk sargents any more they call them the custody Sargent's now but basically its just politically minded now guys like you cannot call bar manor a barmaid any more its a bar person,
So if you pop into the acocks green police station you would be confronted by a civil Lian officer whom would. Call or fetch you
The custody officier to the front office you would speak to best wishes Astonian,,,,,,,,,,,

Hello all. The Police museum is still there and staffed by volunteers. It had probably 3-4 open days last year both on weekends and lastly on a weekday in the school holidays. Later this year it will hopefully have an external website up and running which will make it easier to contact. The Police records are still held at the museum to answer a question above and well worth a visit on open days.

Hi Paul,
sorry for the late reply, Thanks for the update..as I live in Western Australia could you find out if the have an email,blog ,ect so i might be able to contact them??
regards

Ron

Hello Ron

Send me a private message I may be able to help you with this, I have links to the museum.

Steve R

hi steve i have tried to send you a private message but you have opted not to receive or send them...if you want to change this you can do so by going into you settings

lyn

Police Records Recovery for the Birmingham City Force, are an absolute disgrace, and scandal . For the second city in the UK to have a rag tag, non organisational, and amateurish concept of holding and implementing a retrieval of these important documents, (which I may add is the legal right of family members), and when, family history is one of the most important functions relatives can perform to preserve family history, is nothing short of disgusting. For years now I have been told that they are held by the Police museum and that it is run on an add hock part time basis, and that they have no current curator, needs to be got a grip of, and moved else where , so that there is a system when relatives apply they are recorded and enacted at once. Paul

morning paul...i totally understand your frustration about the lack of access we have to the police museum which i think is run on a voluntary basis...for years now myself and other members have expressed a desire to visit the museum but as you say due to it being closed most of the time this has been impossibe to do...as far as i know it has no funding or backing from bcc...when i read that steve has a link to the museum i would like to ask him if he can let us know what the current situation is with regards to it having a curator and when it is open because as you quite rightly say this is an important part of our birmingham history and we are being denied access to it...what we need is a couple of dedicated ex policeman to run it for us..

lyn

Last edited:
Thanks Lyn, of course I don't mean any disrespect, to anyone and especially the volunteers who give up their free time, but it was time the appropriate authorities took control and digitised these records and put them on line, for easy access, I really do say, enough is enough, and this game of nonsense has gone on long enough. Regards Paul

thats ok paul i know you meant no disrespect but it is very frustrating for us history buffs when we can not gain access to not just the police records and the museum but also other records that are out of our reach...i am hoping that when steve reads our posts he maybe able to fill us in about the current position of the police museum...

lyn

We went a few months ago after I saw there was an open day when I read it on Facebook. The day in question was a Thursday so me and the wife took a ride out there. Not only did it appear to be closed but the police station was shut also. There was'nt any notices up anywhere. A disgrace.

I'm not all that sure but I don't think Sparkhill Police Station is actually closed, it's just another one of those stations that is closed to the public and has no front desk where the public can be dealt with. I think if you want to be face to face with a human being to discuss a matter then you have to take yourself down to Edward Rd station in Balsall Heath.

The museum only opens very infrequently on open days or by special arrangement for viewing, but don't ask me where you ring to make arrangement as that seems to be an official secret.

Terry
The nick is closed to the public it as been like that for a very long time now at least six months to my knowledge
Its is only operationional to the force and for the use of prisoners whom may been Arrested
For holding and Awaiting for transporting to the central lock ups at steel house lane
They do this round up to every police station they do about an afternoon around five and seven,
then they do another from 10 pm through the night then they will go up befor the courts at ten the next morning
on the subject of the museum there i beleive is a police officier still involved whom as access to the museum
and records of the nick up there is some where at one time but i thought some of our mods on here knew of him
but i may had edward road islosed to the public front desk it would be belgrave road as been the central office
for most of the partof the city of birmingham
on my last record of traveling pass the museum the doors of which arte around the side road i may pont out i once vistited
afew back now very intresting indeed but hasant to say when passing afew months back
on the museum doors plastered all over it stated itssome kind of asian comunity servies and advice
and the museum doors was closed it gave the imression its not operational any more
surely central should give you information if you ring but there is a pblic enquireie in the directory for the council house whom have all these numbers
when i never knew about this number until some one told me and i also got the planing office numbe and where itwas situated check the phone directory for b,city council house number and there services they are very helpful
all the best Astonian ,, Alan ,,,,,

Hello all. The Police museum is still there and staffed by volunteers. It had probably 3-4 open days last year both on weekends and lastly on a weekday in the school holidays. Later this year it will hopefully have an external website up and running which will make it easier to contact. The Police records are still held at the museum to answer a question above and well worth a visit on open days.

just bringing this post of steves from 3 weeks ago to the top folks...thanks for the info steve until the web site is up and running would you be able to keep us informed please of any open days planned for the museum...thank you

lyn

Last edited:
Hello Lyn

I will gets some updates and put them on in the near future. If I can ask for the users patience in the meantime please, it really isn't as straight forward as one would think.

Steve R

hi steve i think that all of our members can appreciate that things are not easy to run especially on a voluntary basis but to have a museum such as this only opening about 4 times a year is really not good enough especially when it comes to gaining access to the police records which are very important to those researching their family history...maybe lodging the records with the library of birmingham may give us better and more frequent access...

like many i have travelled all over the country over the years and everywhere i go are these litte museums for various things such as maritime..police..roman....ww1 etc and all open at least 5 days a week...considering that birmingham is the 2nd city very little back up is given from the powers that be to assist/help/fund in keeping the history of this city alive...not your fault that their sole intention is to destroy it but would appreciate any updates you can let us have with firm opening dates (even once a month would be better than the current situation) regarding the police museum as i have been hoping for some time now to set up a forum members trip to it but found it difficult to arrange due to lack of information...

thanks steve good to have you as a member..

lyn

Last edited:
Right again Lyn, I feel that what is needed is to be told how these records are held, instead of keeping it a state secret, "Microfisch, data base, or are we left with a scenario of some one who occasionally goes in to manually look through hundreds of cards manually??, if so, this is unacceptable in this 21st century. Secondly surely it isn't beyond human intuition to designate someone to reply to,(must be many), requests of relatives to at least acknowledge their request, instead of ignoring them I think this is where the controversy lies. Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back