• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Police Service Records

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eeyorebev

knowlegable brummie
Has anyone ever obtained the Police Service records for their ancestors.

My grandfather was a policeman at Thornhill Road Police Station in 1901, and was actually at the Police station when the census took place. He was still a Policeman on the 1911 census but at home so I don't know where he was based, and on his death certificate it states he was a retired Police constable - that was in 1943.

I did email the Police museum but didn't get a reply.

I would like to obtain a copy of his records if I can, but I will have to either try to persuade an old friend to go, or pay a researcher as I am an offshore brummie now living in Australia.

Any advice or information would be gratefully received.

I'm suprised you did'nt get a reply, the chap that runs the museum is normaly on the ball. I would give him another try.

Oh thats good news. I thought it unusual for Dave not to reply but I suppose people are busy and have holidays and illness as well!

Hello - I will gladly go and check for you - my great grandfather was a police sergeant (not sure, but I believe in the city centre) in 1864 - I am not sure when the museum is next open, I am awaiting a response from Dave (may be during the summer holidays as I work in school) so can do research for both of us, if you wish. Jo

Jo
Thank you very much for your very kind offer, but Dave has been back in touch and has found the records of my 2x Great Grandfather who was one of the first policemen in Birmingham and a bit of a lad by all accounts. Dave has been very helpful and is sending me a copy of 3 records he has found on a disc for me to see, as I couldn't read the ones he sent by email. I was very lucky as very few records have survived from the early years, and they only have complete records from 1865. Hopefully your great grandfather will have served after 1864, in whcih case you may also be lucky.

My other relative who was a policeman was actually based in Staffordshire, not Birmingham and i have to get in touch with Staffordshire archives to get his records, but again am hopeful as my grandfather did not serve till the start of the 20th century.

Good luck and thanks again. Bev

I wrote and e-mailed the museum in Birmingham for my dads records, never had a reply sent e-mail to Oxford City records got a reply same day?????????

Like you I was a bit disappointed the first time I contacted them as I had no reply, but this time Dave has been brilliant replying straight away. I know he is not there all the time, and he may have been away on hols or sick.
If you didn't get all the info you wanted then please contact him again as i am sure he would love to be of help.

I too have been disappointed at my response from Dave at the Police Museum, I contacted him regarding my great grandfather Walter Long, he replied to me stating that someone in Australia had contacting him regarding Walter's brother Daniel who was also in the Police force as were 2 other brothers, I replied stating that I knew to whom he was referring. Dave then proceeded to send me all of Daniels service records, which was great for my cousin in Australia but not for me. When I explained that I was actually after Walter's record I never got a response and despite emailing him now on at least 4 occasions I still am no nearer finding out Walter's working history.

I am sorry about your problems sylyal but Dave Cross retired a while ago. I think there is a problem with finding someone to take over the museum as its a voluntary museum.

Hi, I was just wondering whether anyone might have any information relating to the Freedman brothers, Harry, Abraham, and Maurice, who served in the City of Birmingham Police in the 1910's-1930's. They were Jewish, which I believe was unusual for the time.

Any information would be gratefully received.

My father was transferred from Oxford City Police in 1937, to 'C', Div, Birmingham City Police, I would also like to know how to receive his records.paul

Hi Paul,

Did you have any luck finding your fathers police service records,I believe my grandfather (Thomas Cecil Rogers 1899-1943) was a police officer not sure when ,may have been sometime in the 1930's

Regards

Ron

Hi Ron, My father served in both the "Oxford City Police", and the "Birmingham City Police", in the 30's 40's and 50's, I received his full details within 3 hours from the Oxford City Records office, never even received a reply from Birmingham City???. Paul

Thanks Paul,

I know that the Birmingham police museum may have closed down, I wonder if any one knows were the record were sent if any where ,maybe to the national archives?

Regards

Ron

I have tried Ron, I have written to the Police and the Birmingham City Council without even the courtesy of a reply.Paul

The museum was open to the public for one day in September, so it's still there, don't think they have managed to find another volunteer curator so it remains closed. The open day wasn't very well advertised and I think it was mid-week, so possibly not well attended.

Colin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back