• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

police houses in Water Orton

elle-jay

master brummie
Hi there
Looking for any information and photos of the police houses at 165-167 Birmingham Road Water Orton. I love to know when they were built, or if anyone has stories about them. I was born in one of the house in the 60's and want to research the buildings further.

with thanks

Elle if you go to the library either Coleshill or Birmingham Central they have quite a few books on Water Orton, probably Coleshill would be best because it's more local. Happy hunting!! :)

hi loisand,
Thank you I have tried Coleshill library but with no success. I hope to be able to get to the central one some time soon hopefully. my quest continues

Hi there
I lived in water orton for 10 years . Whilst i was there they published a few books on the history of water orton they were written and produced by colin green. they are brill.
colin

Thank Colin. I have one of his books (part one) I brought it from all places would you believe fron the funeral directors in Coleshill. he had all sorts of history books for sale in his window. and some amazing old photo's of coleshill on the walls inside. unfortunately he only had part one for sale. do you have any idea where you can buy the others books from?

waterstones the best place to buy and order your books of of history
and of yesterdays of any part of the midlands of any era
prices are highly competitive as well
best wishes astonian ;;

I am sure Colin Green still lives in Water Orton - try asking in Derek Sellars shop because I am sure Colin lives round there somewhere. He is well know. have you tried Water Orton Library?

elle-jay I got some of my Water Orton books from Coleshill Library, so check there first. Gascoignes funeral directors are ok for the local books, also Carters electrical shop used to sell local things, pictures etc, they are just by Tesco Direct in Coleshill. Happy hunting :)

Sorry to hijack the thread but I was sent this picture by a friend some time ago from a book about Water Orton. This was the house my gt aunt and uncle William and Emillia Bratt lived in. He was the organist and choir master at the local church. The family left sometime in the 1920's they retired to Llandudno. The family are all in Canada now but still have the clock he was presented with on his retirement. I would love to know which book the photo is in. It's amusing as well now I know who lived there.

does any body recall the little prison officers houses on the front of winson green
prison ,and the prison wall was behind there back garden on the winson green rd
and they eventualy built a little estate of prison officiers house around on the lodge rd
next to the eagle pub 'and just abit further along was the prison guvenors house
is that little houseing estate still there on lodge rd or the big house that belonged to the guvenor of the prison i have noticed th old gate house as gone and they have moved it up by the cut in front of the womens remand block which as been there for years that was built to save time and money in transporting them down to hollow way thosewith i weeks remand or less --best wishes astonian ;;;

just picked up on your water orton thread i lived there from 1973 to 2002 & still work there (by the scout hut) dont know much about police houses but would be glad to help if i can with anything else, alan

I think mwOnjm may have got confused as Astonian posted off topic on the thread about Winson Green.:)

Sorry to hijack the thread but I was sent this picture by a friend some time ago from a book about Water Orton. This was the house my gt aunt and uncle William and Emillia Bratt lived in. He was the organist and choir master at the local church. The family left sometime in the 1920's they retired to Llandudno. The family are all in Canada now but still have the clock he was presented with on his retirement. I would love to know which book the photo is in. It's amusing as well now I know who lived there.
Hi there
first thing is the author of theis book is colin green he still lives on the corner by the school green and he is known in water orton . That picture was in the second edition . The book has all the big houses of water orton in it and there history. I have 2 copies but they are stored in my brothers loft but if you can,t get them let me know and i will get them and forward there print details.
colin

Many thanks for the information Colin. I have a scan of the page but I would like to get a copy of the book.I will have to take a trip over.

Thank Colin. I have one of his books (part one) I brought it from all places would you believe fron the funeral directors in Coleshill. he had all sorts of history books for sale in his window. and some amazing old photo's of coleshill on the walls inside. unfortunately he only had part one for sale. do you have any idea where you can buy the others books from?

Hi elle-jay, As I'm typing this I have before me Part 2 of Colin Green's Water Orton in Times Gone Past. It makes no mention of the Police houses, which are just up the road from where I've lived for 33 years now.
A couple who are close friends of ours lived for some years in the first one reached when leaving the village, indeed, as the then owner of a large van, I helped with their move. Another good friend, Diane, was raised in the other one, her Dad having been a copper.

If you'd like to borrow the book I have, send me a private message and let me know how I can get it to you. You'd be welcome to borrow it.

Ian

I am sure Colin Green still lives in Water Orton - try asking in Derek Sellars shop because I am sure Colin lives round there somewhere. He is well know. have you tried Water Orton Library?

Colin lives almost exactly opposite Derek Sellars shop. I'd agree that the library would be a potential source of information.

Ian

just picked up on your water orton thread i lived there from 1973 to 2002 & still work there (by the scout hut) dont know much about police houses but would be glad to help if i can with anything else, alan

So you're the mechanic who works up by the Scout Hut. I live 4 houses down from your driveway, red and gold Shogun...?

Ian

Last edited:
Many thanks for the information Colin. I have a scan of the page but I would like to get a copy of the book.I will have to take a trip over.

Wendy,
I have got a spare copy of the book containing that picture, if your still interested you can have it.:)

Wow that would be brilliant Jim thank you so much. I will make a donation to the site!:)

So you're the mechanic who works up by the Scout Hut. I live 4 houses down from your driveway, red and gold Shogun...?

Ian
thats me ian, took over the workshop in 2001 then moved from water orton in 2002 thats planning for you! yes i've seen your car on the drive.

thats me ian, took over the workshop in 2001 then moved from water orton in 2002 thats planning for you! yes i've seen your car on the drive.

Alan, I've heard good words about your mechanical skills from Brian Clark, the guy with the mad Belgian tractor who lives beside your workshop.

I'll stroll up amd introduce myself soon.

Ian

Alan, I've heard good words about your mechanical skills from Brian Clark, the guy with the mad Belgian tractor who lives beside your workshop.

I'll stroll up amd introduce myself soon.

Ian
look forward to that, hope you catch me in (one man band have to be everywhere at once)

Back