• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Police House Barrows Lane Sheldon.

robert

master brummie
Does anyone know if there were ever a police house in Barrows lane near the junction with Coventry rd. The period i have been asked to look for is the 1950s. I know there were police houses at the junction of Coventry rd and Lyndon rd, and wonder if there is some conffusion here.

Thanks Robert.

I seem to have a vague memory of there being some in Barrows Lane on the Coventry Road side of the junction with Common Lane, but would stand to be corrected.

Barrows Lane was/is Birmingham = Birmingham City Police, whereas Lyndon Road was/is Solihull therefore would then have been Warwickshire Police.

Hi Ken, there are two houses next to the TA centre in Barrows lane, one houses the caretaker and i thought perhaps the other one may have been a police house at one time. its just an idea, does it ring any bells.

Dwilly, the museum doe'nt have a curater since Dave Cross retired a couple of years ago.

Frankly, I haven't been down there for decades. I can just about remember the TA Centre. I used to have 'rellies' that lived in Barrows Lane on the other corner of Common Lane.

However, it is the type of location where the Police would have built houses.

Two other avenues to try.
1. The Surveyors Dept for WMP - although, by now, that probably has some other posh name but will still be on the 0121 626 5000 switchboard. Police houses were generally still retained into the 70's/80's so there might be someone still working there who remembers them.

2. If you have the house numbers, try the Land Registry at Coventry. I have contacted them before (in relation to other matters) and they have always been helpful. They seem to be one of the few Departments that get fed up with 'pushing papers' and actually enjoy an intelligent telephone conversation.

Let us know how you get on.

Out of interest, why the query?

Its been a bit of a debate between my brother in law and one of his work collegues. i will pass on your advice, and let you know what happens.

Robert,

Sorry I have only just picked this up. If you want a definitive answer I can say, hand on heart, that there is not and never has been a police house in Barrows Lane. A police officer might have lived there but it would have been in a private house, either his own or rented.

Old Boy

I lived on Moat Lane top of Barrows Lane from the late 1930 to 1957 I do not remember any police house by the Armoury. John Crump

Hi Ken, there are two houses next to the TA centre in Barrows lane, one houses the caretaker and i thought perhaps the other one may have been a police house at one time. its just an idea, does it ring any bells.

Dwilly, the museum doe'nt have a curater since Dave Cross retired a couple of years ago.
No Police houses, the two next to the TA centre were built late 50's, prior to that there were military buildings there. we used to play in them as kids, I believe both houses have only ever been private dwellings.

No Police houses, the two next to the TA centre were built late 50's, prior to that there were military buildings there. we used to play in them as kids, I believe both houses have only ever been private dwellings.
You're right, there were no police houses there. Between the T.A. barracks and the Coventry Road was a block of 4 houses, one of which was occupied my Uncle and family and I, also living in Sheldon, was a frequent visitor there.

Back