• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Police Horses

These are the complement of Duke Street way back in the 1920-30 era. My dad is fifth from the right.
Hi Eddie. That's a great pic of the mounted unit. I'm enquiring for a friend whose grandad was in the first mounted police unit in Birmingham and based at Duke Street station. He was born in Glasgow in the 1890s, so I'm guessing he would have been in brum by the 1920s and possibly one of the officers in that pic you posted. Do you happen to know the names of the other men in the picture? My friend's grandad was called Byron Cameron.

Roger, your friends grandad was not born in Scotland but died age 52 in Birmingham in 1941.
If he wants more details you will have to message me as I cannot contact you.
As this is off topic I shall delete it later. Alberta.

Isn't terrible when you look at your previous posts and see the silly spelling mistakes, post 84, I will have to go back to school.

Hi Eddie it;s just age or the letters are in the wrong place on the computer!!!!!...............Joe 90

I remember when the mounted contingent was based in Ladywood, may have been Ladywood Road, though uncertain now so many years later, I used to stand at the entrance and watch them training and sometimes they would bring them out into the street. I would estimate the date at around 58/9, but someone on the forum will know better. Paul

I remember when the mounted contingent was based in Ladywood, may have been Ladywood Road, though uncertain now so many years later, I used to stand at the entrance and watch them training and sometimes they would bring them out into the street. I would estimate the date at around 58/9, but someone on the forum will know better. Paul
I went to Five Ways school, during the time it was an annexe to George Dixon's in City Road. The stables adjoined the school grounds but closed around then (very early 60s, I think) and moved to the Tally Ho! training centre on Pershore Road near Edgbaston Road.

You were a great sight Joe, and a credit to your unit, I served in the Foot Guards as a lad, and always admired the mounted troops and Police, my old dad was an, officer in C Div, BCP, in 40's and early fifty's. Paul

That’s wonderful if it is your father ! It’s a pity we can’t be 100% sure. Maybe one day someone will be able to confirm it for you. Viv.

I am afraid that my brother, Ian who is 7 years younger than I [Austin Healy] is not correct as in 1941 Dad was in Canada with the RAF and did not become a Mounted Policeman until later 1946. I have attached a photo of Reg Searle take outside the Old Duke Street Police station sitting on Nigger his brown horse [not politically correct in those days].
Dads' # was D273; Dad was no Roy Rogers so his horse of many years was Alfie, not Trigger. For many years and up until his retirement in 1967 was stationed at Kingstanding Police Station. a 15-minute on Court Lane, Erdington. bike ride from where my parents lived from 1939 until Mums' passing in 2016.

Attachments

• DSCF4739.JPG
    DSCF4739.JPG
    296.7 KB · Views: 26
The mounted Police HQ was at Duke st,and there were further stables at Kings Heath.Bordesley Green.Ladywood.Thornhill Rd. Tally Ho.West Bromwich.when l was on the mounted in the 70s.
I worked and lived in single men’s at Bordesley Green 1959. The stables were at the back of the courtyard. a life long friend Mansel Chappel, a Sgt at the time, ended up in charge of the Mounted at Duke Street. I also worked at Coventry Rd and Sheldon. Left in 1964 for Toronto.

3 Negatives found in Envelope - Listed as "Mounted Police in Park".
These are most likely Birmingham as everything else in similar Envelopes is Birmingham based.
Hopefully someone can identify the location and give a possible date.

Mounted Police in Park (1).jpgMounted Police in Park (2).jpgMounted Police in Park (3).jpg

Back