• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Police Horses

rowan

Born a Brummie
Please....can someone tell me if there are any Police horses still stationed in Birmingham?

The short answer is NO. they did away with the horse section and the divers some years ago to save money, if there is an incident where divers are wanted they have to call in divers from an outside force.

Police Horses.

Didn't the horses used to stabled at Little Park Street, Aston and The Tally Ho in Edgbaston. If the mounted police are now defunct in Birmingham what has happened to the stables.

Cheers

pmc1947.

There were also stables at Victoria road but they were used for storage when I was stationed there ( 1968 + ). the stables at Park road were built when Duke St closed.

On 16 August 1839 thenight horse patrol was founded. In 1922 a mounted ection of 22 officers was established using horses hired from the Corporation Stud. By the late 1940's the establishment was an Inspector a Sergeant,24 Constables and 20 horses that were nearly all grey. The horses were maintained by by the Corporation's stud of horses taht belonged ton the City Veterinary Dept, and provided for by the Watch Committee. In May 1946 the weekly upkeep of a horse was increased from 30/- to 35/- for bedding shoeing & feeding. I remember that there were also stables at kINGSTANDING, Thornhill Road Bordesley Green Acocks Green & Kings Heath. There was also a stable & riding school at Tally Ho ! Sadly all the heritage was destroyed by a short sighted Chief Constable !

Police horses are now stabled in Stafford. They are moved around in horse boxes for football matches etc.

They are moved around in horse boxes for football matches etc.
I've never seen horses playing footba...oh, I see.

Are the old stables still standing in Ladywood Road, just up from Five Ways? I thought I saw them the other day as I drove past.

A neighbour was the cook at Acocks Green police station pre WW2 & post war i looked after her dog while she worked ( she was not married) i would go to the station and she would give bones for her dog, i was allowed to see the horses in their stables this would be circa 1939- on, before there were police women stationed there our neighbour would search women who were arrested, the police would come and get her at anytime of the night, as far as i know the stables are still standing but used for other purposes.

My friends husband who saddly died recently was a mounted policeman and his last horse went to a home for retired police horses where he would visit him. His wife still carries on with re- homing dogs and cats. A true animal caring family. Her daughter is married to a vet and has rescued chickens and has adopted one of these retired horses. Jean.

Did you Know that the police force was dressed in blue uniform designed to resemble civilian more than military dress...Cat

There was a police stable in Bell Barn rd,the man in charge wore leather gaiters ,isn't it amazing the memories that come back to us .The stable later became a delivery firm called Rainbows.Mary

Mike love that photo. When I phone my friend I will ask if I can borrow some of her photo's of her late husband and his horses whilst in the mounted police?. Jean.

When I was a kid one of our neighbours was in the Mounted Police and occasionally turned up on his horse. Nowadays I guess the Tax people would consider that a taxable perk.

When the Mounted Department was disbanded, I believe most of the horses and tack went to either Nottingham and/or Manchester Police Forces for virtually nothing.

Motorman-Mike. Mike have you any more photographs? Would love to see them if you have.

Junie.

After the horses were stood down Duke St was used as a Maintenance Station for Police Motorcycles. Len.

Back