• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Police Horses

Steve, I will see if I can devise some means of taking a photo of the 4-6" picture and putting on the thread if only in short sections, I have scanned the whole width of the photo and for the life of me I cannot see the join, I cannot see how they took that width witout either of the horses moving, why there only Mr Hammond and my farther on horse back and not the other twenty six I don't know,

Dave

I have managed to get a few pictures of Police horses to show

Horse (2).jpg

Probably easy for someone to identify the location in Aston according to the information I have been given.

Picture Courtesy of West Midlands Police Museum

Steve R

cracking photo there steve...the pub is the golden cross at the junction of lichfield road running across and rocky lane aston...the building is still there although no longer as a pub...cant be certain but that could be the tubes factory on the left in rocky lane..my aunt worked there..someone will know for certain about that

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn

Thank you

I have been given a few but struggling to load them but will get them on eventually.

Steve R

There is a caption with this picture stating the horses were on their way to a football match.

Horse 3.jpg

Any ideas?? I think Aston Villa as there is a claret and blue scarf being held by one of the supporters. Does anybody recognise the buildings??

Steve R

Picture Courtesy of West Midlands Police Museum

Attachments

• Horse1.png
    Horse1.png
    52.8 KB · Views: 39
another good one steve cant help you with the exact location but it must be close to the aston villa ground..i think that that supporter is not holding his scarf..its most likely tucked through the loops in his jeans and the guy behind the police horse has most likely got his scarf tied around his wrist as its nearly on the floor...this was how we wore our scarfs round about the middle 70s early 80s

lyn

Last edited:
HI STEVE ;
YES THE FIRST SHOWING IS AT ASTON CROSS WITH SIX HORSE COMING ON TO LICHFIELD RD FROM ROCKY LANE
AND THE ANSEWER BEING SIX HORSES WAS EITHER ON THE WAY BACK TO THE STABLES OF VICTORIA RD POLICE STATION WHERE THEY KEPT
HORSES AND BEEN SOME WHERE ELSE OR THEY HAVE COME FROM DUKE STREET GOING TO THE MATCH OF VILLA
WHICH YEARS AGO THEY WAS ATTENDING IN THOSE YEARS EVERY WEEK THEY HAD SCORES OF POLICE ON HORSE BACK IN THOSE DAYS
AND YES TO ASTONESS LYN IT WAS THE GOLDEN CROSS PUB AND THE AJOING BUILDING YOU SEEN ON THE LEFT WAS OF TUBES LIMITED
i LIVED AROUND THE CORNER FDROM IT AND ALSO WORKED THERE FOR YEARS ALONG WITH OUR FELLO MEMBER bAZZ M WE WORKED SIDE BY SIDE
AT THAT TUBES PRIOR TO THAT IT WAS HERCULES CYCLES LIMITED WHERE THEY MADE POLICE CYCLES ; BIKE DARK GREEN IN COLOUR AND WITH THE STEEL BAR HAND BRAKES AND A DYNOMO ON THE BACK WHEEL TO GIVE THE LAMP ON YTHE FRONT OF THE BIKE ITS LIGHTING AS WELL AS THE REAR LIGHT AS FAR AS I AM AWARE THE GOLDEN CROSS CLOSED DOWN AND WAS SOLD TO A MR OCCONNOR WHOM OWNS LOTTS OF PUBS AROUND BRUM AND THE COUNTRY NOW AND HE RENAMED IT ORIELLYS BUT I DO BELEIVE ITS NONE EXCISTANCE NOW OF ANY TRADING AS A PUB
AND MY FATHER WILLIAM [ BILL ] RAN THAT PUB FOR MANY YEARS HE STARTED AS YOUNG LAD AT 14 YEARS OLD AND I BELEIVED IT WAS A FAMILY OF DODDS THAT OWNED IT AND MY FTHER DONE ALL THE LOCAL PUBS AROUND ON THAT ASTON CROSS FOR DONKEYS YEARS DOING ALL THERE RELIEFS
FPOR ALL THE FOUR OR FIVE PUBS AROND THE CROSS ITS SELF HE DIED IN 1958 AGED 42 YEARS OLD HE ALSO WORKED FOR CHARLES HARRIS ON LODGE RD THE FLAT WITH ANOTHER MEMBER OF THE FORUM SYLVIA BEST WISHES ASTONIAN;;

I have been trying for the last hour to find a way of getting a photo of the police horses on this thread, if it does not appear i give up

Dave.

No luck, I notice that I am not the only one to suffer this problem, you would think in this modern age it could be made simple.

Dave

Another picture of the mounted division from the Birmingham/West Midlands Police

horse4.jpg

There wasn't a caption with this picture and I don't know if they are on their way out or have just returned or where it was taken.

Courtesy of West Midlands Police Museum

Steve R

Eddie 14

Keep trying to get them on mate, three days of trying to get these last 3 pictures on but got there eventually.

I will try and get more picture of the mounted division.

Steve R

Steve, I am very cut up about this, as you say three days, in all it must be 4 hours for me. Why is there no instructions?, several other members have the same problem and it puts them off trying.
Come on committee, help the old ones out.

Dave

hi eddie although there is more than one way of uploading photos to the forum there are instuctions under the tutorial section of the forum but just for you try this...this is my way of doing it.....good luck let us know if you have cracked it...

lyn

click on GO ADVANCED and type in your message
scroll down to MANAGE ATTACHMENTS
click on ADD FILE
click on SELECT FILE
choose the photo you want to post and left click to highlight it
click on OPEN
click on UPLOAD.. wait for your photo to upload..your photo will appear at the left hand bottom corner when it has uploaded
click on SUBMIT REPLY photo should now appear with your message..

Last edited:
These are the complement of Duke Street way back in the 1920-30 era. My dad is fifth from the right.

Attachments

• 074.jpg
    074.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Appreciate
Reactions: Two
Eddie

Great photo makes you feel proud to be a brummie i wonder if these officers were ex cavalry as they all seem to have campaign medals or were they awarded for service one wonders !

Phil

#57, looks about 1920's/30's, as most police forces were made up of ex service personnel with 1or2, slashed peaks looks like most ex cavalrymen.paul

Back