• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Point of Reference needed

Aidan

master brummie
I found this picture of "Birmingham from the air" in a book published 1946 and after studying it have realised I don't know Birmingham as well as I should as I can't get a fix on any of the interesting buildings shown - can anyone identify where it is please?

New st station top right corner, new st running parallel to the platforms, and running down to victoria sq on far right edge pf picture, with council house tower just below it. Colmore Row going up slightly to left from victoria Square . St Phillips on the fold on the photo, and i think some of the big whute buildings in top
left hand corner is Lewis's
mike

It takes a while to pick out landmarks on this photo. Mike's right. Across from Lewis's with the two towers is, I believe, The King's Hall Market on Corporation Street. I can also follow Newhall Street down towards the Jewellery Quarter. Also the top of Hill Street off New Street and Galloways Corner.

If you look at Lewiss's...a half way along and go down the side of the building to the darkened part, then that would be the roof of Greys. Looking at New Street you can see the Collonade Hotel still there. Took me a while too.

Back