• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pockets

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
What did you carry around in yours as a kid ?

Always a hanky. Always ... plus

Depending on age, items I particularly remember carried around as ‘favourites’ were
a troll and small comb (for troll hair combing of course),
an ever growing ball of fluff made up of bobbly bits from friends jumpers (yes we all did this at school for quite a while)
a ‘toilet seat’ hair clip, because although mum fixed it in my hair when I left for school, it always (and soon after) ended up in the pocket
school dinner tickets, in a long strip
a ‘thrupenny’ bit for sweets after school

Nothing too horrific, perishable or dangerous.

Viv.

Last edited:

Always a hanky. Always ... plus

Depending on age, items I particularly remember were carried around as ‘favourites’ were
a troll and small comb (for troll hair combing of course),
an ever growing ball of fluff made up of bobbly bits from friends jumpers (yes we all did this at school for quite a while)
a ‘toilet seat’ hair clip, because although mum fixed it in my hair when I left for school, it always (and soon after) ended up in the pocket
school dinner tickets, in a long strip
a ‘thrupenny’ bit for sweets after school

Viv.
A Hanky? How did you manage to get a sleeve inside your pocket?:D

I somehow managed to get chewing gum in my pockets. I think it was when we would hide it from teacher

Better than stuck under the desk Mort, along with all the others gone before ! Yuk

Once unwrapped gum gets warms up it’s a devil to get off fabric. And in a pocket - well some very careful use of greaseproof paper and an iron is called for. Viv

In the words of G.K. Chesterton, "It takes a man years to get a decent pocket system going". I still remember that from my school days when we did essayists as a topic in English Literature. I don't remember much else, of course. :)

In my schooldays, my pockets held little more than a handerkerchief, and a few coppers for bus fares. Nowadays, a comb, a mask for covid, a memory stick, my keys and loose change, with my wallet in my back pocket. If I were a rich man..........if only !!

Maurice :cool:

Pockets would contain handkerchiefs, coins, comb, packet of polo mints and perhaps a door key. If wearing a school blazer, then there would be a row of pens in the top pocket. Nowadays I carry a small shoulder bag for: at least two masks, sanitiser, mobile phone, spectacles, small notebook, ballpoint pen, spare hearing aid batteries, Elastoplast (just in case), eye drops, a compass (which I hardly ever use), and a packet of polo mints. Handkerchiefs, keys, wallet and various credit or membership cards are kept in trouser or shirt pockets. I have no need of a comb. Dave

You got me thinking now Pete. I piece of cold buttered toast in the pocket was must for a lesson time snack.

I have to admit to putting all sorts of disgusting things in my [pockets
and i did as i got older it was dog ends,when i run out and was gasping for a smoke i would turn my pocket out collect all the tobacco dust,complete with fluff and have a roll up.yuk.1609927255794.png

Viv.
Just what is a toilet seat hair clip? Asked "the wife", asked Google, still no wiser.

I remember those well Viv! Like most well brought up little girls I always had a linen hanky in my pocket, which started the day clean and folded. However I stayed for school dinners... not a problem as I wasn't a fussy eater... but we had a phase of having dates for pudding, the one thing I just couldn't stand. We were firmly 'encouraged' to eat everything up and not leave anything on our plate. Guess where the half eaten dates ended up....
Lynn.
[/QUOTE]

I had a hankie with Mabel Lucie Atwell pictures on and I didn't want to spoil it! When I was older I always had Lipsyl in my pocket, we weren't allowed make-up at school so this was a way round the rules.
My son had melted chewing-gum in his pocket and I put his coat in the freezebox to harden so I could chip it off but his father found it first and he got into trouble!!

Reading through the comments it’s brought to mind three particular pockets; blazer breast pocket, the zip pocket in our school (nurse-type) belt and the breast pocket in shirts. The blazer breast pocket, with its hand-sewn on school badge was, like farmerdave, the place for pens, except I only ever had one pen clipped to it. This is what my Dad said I should use the pocket for. But after a while, I dropped clipping a pen to it as I think I was a bit self-conscious about it ! The ‘secret’ pocket in the school nurse-type belt was a different story. At first it held just dinner tickets, but then held special things like a paper fortune teller. This could be pulled out at break times and kept safe in-between. The special things had to be small and thin as the space in the pocket was tight. As far as the breast pocket which was on almost all uniform shirts, I remember these being used by boys (not generally girls) for their cigs and lighter. Viv,

Back