• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pluto

sheldontony

master brummie
Can anyone help please?

My father was from Sandpits - Birmingham and was born in 1920. I believe he was in the Royal Engineers after being called up in 1939 and I believe demobbed after 1945 and I know he worked on PLUTO on the Isle of Wight.
Does anyone have information especially a map of where the pipeline followed the Army after the invasion. Dates and places would be much appreciated. Any photos would be great. He then worked for BCT and WMPTE until the late 70's, maybe someone remembers? His name was William Harris (bill to family and friends).

I visited a friend in Greatstone earlier this year. In his road are two bungalows that were used in operation 'PLUTO' as pumping stations. At the end of the war most of the pipe was pulled up for scrap. The length of pipe from the bungalows was left in place and most of it is still in the English Channel. This means that you are able to put your ear to the pipe that is still in the bungalow and hear ships passing by in the Channel.

Heres a link with more info https://greatstone.net/history/pluto.htm

Back