• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Plush Nuggets

Suze

master brummie
I was wondering if I had made this up...but...there were plush nuggets weren't there?
Talking to Mum yesterday about nostalgia...makes a change from aches and pains and ( might even had asked this question before)..can you still get them,who made them?

I look every time I see an old fashioned sweetie shoppe,but all I get is blank stares....

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Suze

I can't help with getting them Suze but yes, there WAS a sweet called Plush Nuggets. I think they may have been made by Lovells.
Difficult to describe them but I suppose they were made of some sort of nougat. What I do remember is they were covered in icing sugar.
Coltsfoot Rock, can we still get Coltsfoot Rock ?

I'm afraid that Lovells Confectionery Limited was wound up in 1999 (London Gazette)

Maurice

I can't help with getting them Suze but yes, there WAS a sweet called Plush Nuggets. I think they may have been made by Lovells.
Difficult to describe them but I suppose they were made of some sort of nougat. What I do remember is they were covered in icing sugar.
Coltsfoot Rock, can we still get Coltsfoot Rock ?

Until quite recently we sold them...I'll check out why we don't now
Suze

Some 25 years ago I was introduced to Skate Nobs .At the end of Skate wings .My wife frays them in Batter .they are Deliciuos

I remember them well - I wonder if they were subject to any patent and whether the patent has expired or sold on when Lovells was put into liquidation. An opportunity for someone maybe.

Maurice :cool:

Maurice
Food products themselves are not usually subject to any patent, though the use of individual ingredients may be. Because of the specificity and requirement for the originality of patents it would probably be difficult to obtain one. However the name of the product can be registered and protected, as can, in certain circumstances, characteristics of design and packaging, such as the shape of Toblerone or the colour Pantone 2685C for Cadbury chocolate. Therefore I am sure that there is nothing to prevent any firm manufacturing a copy of the Plush nuggets, and , indeed, if the registration has lapsed, of calling them by that name

I used to love them they were in a pink bag, been telling my daughter about them for years
These were my absolute faves. They were in a pink bag with white circles on it, probably representing the sweets inside. They similar to toffee bon bons but the inside was a chewy nugget instead of toffee and they were smaller. So wish you could get them these days

These were my absolute faves. They were in a pink bag with white circles on it, probably representing the sweets inside. They similar to toffee bon bons but the inside was a chewy nugget instead of toffee and they were smaller. So wish you could get them these days

I just had a memory of something...but I'm thinking of quite large 'lumps' of a pink substance with tiny holes, and I don't think they're the same things.

Plush Nougats were a favourite of my wife before we were married. I recall an incident in the Sheldon cinema when whilst trying to open the packet with one hand and my teeth (my other arm being around my wife's shoulder!) the packet split and the the people in the rows in front of them were showered with sweets. One poor lady was wearing a dark fur coat which was covered in white icing sugar. This was just one of several sweet/drink related mishaps we had in various cinemas including dropping a box of Maltesers when we were sitting in the back row of the"gods" in the ABC New Street. The balcony sloped steeply from back to front and we heard every Malteser making a lovely plink-plonk sound as they all rolled to the front. :laughing:

Back