• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Plough & Harrow Hotel

O

O.C.

In the 1700’s in the days of Queen Anne at Edgbaston their stood a small wayside inn called The Plough & Harrow were travellers could stop and stable their horses for the night, in those days it had a reputation of being haunted not by one ghost but a few ranging from beautiful girls to bent old men.
The old Plough & Harrow was demolished in 1832 and a new one erected and at the back of the building there were traces of the old pub and efforts were made to preserve the old brickwork as well as the stable block. It became a favourite of Joseph Chamberlain who used the hotel as a meeting place as well as Cardinal (John Henry) Newman who use to arrange his lunches there for guests (one was that great writer Hilaire Belloc who was educated at the Oratory School at Edgbaston) who visited his Oratory House which he built about 1870 on the slopes of the Rednal Hills
Many changes occurred at the Plough & Harrow over its years and it was redecorated and re-branded many times and by the 1950’s it boasted one of the finest cocktail bars and restaurants in the Midlands with modern up-to-date accommodation offering even private garaging so I wonder if the old ruins have gone?
Pics show Plough & Harrow,Cocktail Bar, Lounge, Bedroom

Attachments

• Edgbaston The Plough & Harrow.JPG
    Edgbaston The Plough & Harrow.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
Am I right in believing at one time that was the only five star hotel in Brum. Then, I think even that lost a star.

In my prime I used to take dates into that cocktail lounge to impress them. There were complimentary nuts and nibbles on the bar. I remember one particular girl who, much to my embarrassment, worked her way along the bar and scoffed the lot. The barman promptly refilled the bowls and shoved them towards her, suggesting that maybe I should buy her a meal. Now I was never the tightest of people but, with a meal costing the equivalent of my week's wages, I left her to keep scoffin' the freebies.

I think it was taken over by Trust House Forte - and then it's glory days were over.
I went there for a meal once in the sixties (Dearly Beloved must have been flush that week) and it was lovely. Anyone been recently?

hi guys
firstly i hope i have put this in the correct slot;
i went pass the old plough and harrow the other day and i thought it looked abit dowdy and tireing from the gloriuos days when it
was the top place to be for dinneing and occasions and all the top people used to go there for there social events
and i would say almost every top actors from thearter world would have stayed there at some time ;
i knew this from an old friend whom died many years ago whom was the security manger at the time his name was pat
and i was wondering wtether or not can any body say they stayed there at any time and more so could any body tell me when it was first built and whom by
i would be very intrested to find more about it ;
when i was a kid i used to pass it many many times and down the rd oppersite the old ivy bush pub there was a grand old large house
which layed back when they completely demo ;itand cleared it us local kids would go into the gardens and play about in there
the grounds went right back down the rd and it was surrounded by trees and bushes and you could not see anybody on the rd
if i remember correctly the bus for south yardley would stop there it was a terminus for it
and then we would go down to augusted rd and the westfield rd with those masive georgeon hoses with there drives up there garden paths to reach there front doors and gravel drives searching for apple and pear trees one had an orchard but more often than not we would be chased off the orchard
and beleive as a little nipper with the big kids whom could rumn faster than me ;and the fear of being caught ; my little heart would pound
so then i started to start mixing with the big boys still its part of growing up i say to my self;
but getting back to the plough; i would really like to know whren it was built and by whom ,? ,
have you ever seen any stars coming or going from there at any time i have seen them coming out in the morning heading towards the studiosand thearter
my aunt lived around the back of the hotel in beafort rd as it was they was big houses and gravel drives
she was related to the perks of septon rd
best wishes astonian;;

Alan - I used to out with a boy who worked at the Plough & Harrow when I was young. I'm still in touch with him, so I'll try and ask him if he can tell us anything about the building. As you say it was the top place to stay in its heyday but my sister stayed there a few years ago and said it was quite tired and not at all what she expected. It was a really beautiful house in the old days.

I used to work in Augustus Road when I was about 17! Can't remember the name of the place but it was a Book Publishing firm. Think it might have been Riley Publishing. There was also the Ambassadors Club on the corner of Augustus Road and Norfolk Road.

Judy

You're right about the P&H being a top place, Alan. The company I worked for in the 1970's threw a staff dinner there, and it was absolutely ace. I can still remember what I ate! I believe it's long been superceded as the "in" hotel and restaurant in Brum - but at least it's good to know it's still open.

Jayell - when I left school in 1963 I applied for a job as trainee illustrator at Riley Ltd on Augustus Rd. I was asked to take along some examples of my work, which I did. I was interviewed by a very tall bloke with a beard, who didn't beat about the bush and told me that I had no talent! Well, at least he was honest about it!

Big Gee

hi jayell
nice to hear from you again i certainly remember the abbassadors club indeed on the corner of norfolk rd
the building still there but its not the abby any more i think you are correct it was old rileys if my memory is serving correctly ; which i think it is ;
asked your friend about the night security and the day security [ pat was a big lad of irish origin he died afew years back now lived in
st john. selly park ; i see his sisters and his twin brother from time to timeand i have a cuppa tea with them at there house great family
even after all these years i have never been inside but i stop in the car more often than that stuck at the traffic lights and i gaze towards the building
and think how it used to be i met a couple of bussiness friends whom used to go there quite often and they told me as well how its gone down the pan ;
but i expect its because of the new venues of hotels that have openend up i guess the old albany hotel as definately hit rock bottom
i am surprized the planner have knocked that down either still not to worry jay ;
so yes please i would really like to find out he day the year it was built nice to hear from you best wishes astonian

Big Gee - I think I know the tall guy you mean, but have long forgotten his name. I used to work as a junior secretary to Mr Riley in the book publishing department, but there was also an Advertising Agency side to the business. I can remember this tall chap with a beard asking if I would have some photos taken for an advertisement for paint brushes and I had to hold the brushes in my hand at different angles while the photos were taken. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it wasn't the same person you are talking about. I worked there in 1958/59. Shame you didn't get the job!!

Judy

Plough & Harrow abt 1900.jpg Found this photo of the Plough & Harrow about 1900 on the B'ham City Council site.

The wording with it says: This picture of a tiller steered car is reproduced courtesy of the John Whybrow collection. Although the hotel is only a few minutes' walk from Williams Street the scene shows a completely different world existing nearby. The woman and young girl are healthy, clean and fit. They are dressed in fashionable, expensive but informal clothes, and clearly aware of their image. The driver is uniformed and has either been directed to, or has unconsciously adopted a position appropriate to his status in this group.

The Plough & Harrow was built in 1704. That would be the part right on the corner of Hagley Road and Plough & Harrow Road. The next bit looks Victorian to me then of course the rooms at the back would have been about 1970. The buildings running back along Plough & Harrow Road would have been the coachhouse and stables.

As someone who knew the Plough & Harrow in the 1970s I can say that it has gone right down over the years. The only stars that I remember seeing in the hotel were Bill Maynard and Ronnie Corbet. I also saw the England Cricket team staying there several years during test matches at Edgbaston with Ian Botham, Peter May and David Gower discussing the days play in the back bar.

hi jay ; david and stich;
many thanks for your threads on this subject and it was great reading your memo;s
jay i thought i was correct ;i am just wondering whether or not it could have been TIB ; Advertising company whom i kew the director of is name was simon wash
they later mved to the old church behind the cricket ground or should i say the side exits it runs behind the back rd to edward rd mosely now its called
the church is on the pershore rd just past edward rd infact i think it could have been the old vicarage to the church and i knew simon and his family was connected to this church and stich thats all a young guy could do with was it to tell a young guy with burning ambitions you aint no good son
i would have been gutted myself if it would be me ; when i was a young lad not very old i aplied for a job for a big company i think i was eighteen
and it was ponly for a labourers job ;permantly on nights ;the bloke i seen to see mesaid no to me ; is excact words ; was ; son ; i will not give you a job sweeping up ;its criminal ; work was tight ;even hou i was single i wanted and i was hungry for work ; but i know i was gutted and i went back to corporation job centre
and told them what he said to me , its the case of oh well; if it had been today i would have him for discrination laws
still not to worry as you say you have to learn to take things on the chin ;well thats what i have always told my sons ;
any way dave thanks for letting us know when it was built from standing at the traffic lights in the car ; on plough and harrow rd it looks like the kitchen s with steam coming out ; many thanks to you all by the way the only star i seen walking out of there on saturay morning was big jacvk douglas the comedium ;
best wishes astonian

Big Gee - I think I know the tall guy you mean, but have long forgotten his name. I used to work as a junior secretary to Mr Riley in the book publishing department, but there was also an Advertising Agency side to the business. I can remember this tall chap with a beard asking if I would have some photos taken for an advertisement for paint brushes and I had to hold the brushes in my hand at different angles while the photos were taken. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it wasn't the same person you are talking about. I worked there in 1958/59. Shame you didn't get the job!!

Judy

Hi Judy, I think it was actually Riley Advertising where I had the interview. I also remember (vividly) it was in the January of 1963, that very bad winter we had, and by the time I got to Riley's I was soaked through, freezing cold and late. But in retrospect the bearded bloke was quite correct: I didn't have any talent for illustration!

Big Gee

Alan - I've spoken to my friend David who used to be a waiter at the Plough & Harrow around 1958. It was all silver service in the restaurant in those days and the Head Waiter was called Mr Charles. Mr. Charles was very strict and he inspected all the station waiters and commis waiters before going on duty. If the slightest thing about you or the way you were dressed wasn't to his liking you were suspended from duty. Everything had to be impeccable. David doesn't recall any stars or celebrities staying there during his time at the hotel but said they all stayed at the Grand.

By the way, he also worked at the Ambassadors before the Plough, but doesn't remember any security person called Pat.

Judy

Small world isn't it Big Gee! I remember Augustus Road being quite a long road and Rileys was on the right nearly at the end on the right hand side (going from town). I'm sure your illustration skills must have been good for you to have applied for the job! I only stayed at Rileys about a year I think. I remember Mr Riley used to give you dictation while strolling around his office with his shoes off!

Judy

It was my brother who put me up to apply for the job. To be honest, it wasn't something I was really all that interested in. The other thing that put me off it was the long walk from the No 7 bus-stop.

But as you say, it's a small world!

Big Gee

Although it looks shabby, the conference facilities are still good, the food was lovely and there is still a lot of the original interior left - or there was this time last year, when we went!
Sue

The Plough & Harrow was rebuilt 1832-33 to a design by John Fallowes who may have been inspired by Jeffrey Wyatville's Lilleshall Hall. Fallowes was also responsible for 31(?) & 35 Calthorpe Rd.

Nice postcard, Viv. I've eaten in the restaurant many moons ago, but the prices are out of my league when it comes to staying there.

Maurice :cool:

Let us just say that I don't think it is what it used to be. Have seen many performers and the England cricket team staying there.

Back