• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thank you’s for help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not new, but this thread has made it possibly to say another big THANK YOU to all those who have helped me, whether in a large or a small way. It's nice to have a reason to say it (thanks Suzanne for 'moaning'), because I would have had to wait much much longer for the information I have, if it was not for the smashing people on here. Thank you all once again.

Shortie

I always make sure that I say thanks on any thread where I have been helped. Too much grabby grabby in the world today. Life is getting more and more expensive but manners and civility are still free.

Jill

I post answers to questions i am asked and then the thread is not visited for days and even weeks or just disappears so i don`t know if i have been any help, sad!. Len.

Len, when I first joined the forum I posted a reply about an Amy Wassall from her grandson I think. I answered quite a lot of his queries. I had been searching for this lady for a lot of years until I sorted out who she really was and something of her family because she links into my line. I would have love to have known more about the lady's character and spoken to any of her family because they might be able to fill in some gaps for me.

I don't know if he ever came back to see his questions had been answered which is a real shame because he would have probably enjoyed finding out what I could tell him.

Maybe sometime he will come back to it or maybe he just took the information I presented and left.

Some people only take and never give back. I hope that no one on here could ever put me in that box.

Jill

I know what you mean Len,I belong to a genealogy forum for UK which attracts a lot of members from overseas,I answer their queries and get no replies although I know they have been active on the site since I posted.I do it to be helpful but thank you would be nice.
Jill,isn't it annoying ,why ask a question if you do not revisit to find the answer.

It is very satisfying to help people but the ones I am not at all keen on are ones who not only researching their tree but craftily use you as a free way of accessing records so that they can supply the info to others.I have learnt over the years to spot them a mile away.
These are the ones that submit ' lengthy shopping lists' over a few months and you just know from all the different names and places that they are not just asking for members of their family tree.

That said most of the people I help are smashing and I feel happy to have been of assistance. Alberta

Last edited:
I post answers to questions i am asked and then the thread is not visited for days and even weeks or just disappears so i don`t know if i have been any help, sad!. Len.

It is easy to find out if the topics you have posted on have been updated.

1) Assuming you are logged on, go to the top of the home page and you see you name near the top.

2) Click on your name and you see details about yourself.

3) Over on the left see "Find all posts". Click on this. This finds all the posts you have ever made, with the most recent at the top.

4) As well as YOUR last post you can also see who made the last post and when.

5) Click on the blue hyperlinked topic name and you are taken to the topic to see all the most recnet appends.

Amen to everything you say Alberta.

When I first came onto here I asked for help with census entries and was thrilled with the answers I got. I was saving for membership of GR then after a while I took up an offer from them for their platinum membership about £15 off. I love looking up info for people now. I was even more thrilled one day last week when I got in on an answer first. Sounds silly maybe but I just wanted to.

I'm on Freegle too which for anyone who doesn't know what it is, when you have an item that you want to get rid of but it is still perfectly useable, you can advertise it for free to save it going to landfil etc. Likewise if you need an item you can ask if anyone has it to get rid of. Just recently and including today, I've been messed about so much I've seriously wondered why I bother making an effort but I won't stop because I've met some lovely people who have been so glad to have the items I've put on offer on the site.

I can't imagine what this world would be like if we all stopped helping each other.

Jill

There is NO excuse for not saying thank you for help - it only takes a few minutes to type a thank you post - which is much less time than the person giving the help will spend finding the answer/information asked for.
I have received an enormous amount of help from members on this forum and I am sure I always say thank you - but THANK YOU again - you are all wonderful.:)

I love to help and have been helped with photo's from Astoness, Len and Phil, maps and electoral look ups from Mikejee, Shera, Ladylinda for their expertise, MikeG for register info and so many others who I am sorry just can't remember.....age thing. I would also like to thank people for the support as moderators and the help and support I get from other "mods" it's not an easy job and takes up so much time. I just like to know sometimes if what has been found is helpful. I have to say the majority of people always say thank you and some share the info found. I am thrilled when a story unfolds in which we can all share. Thank you all.

If all went well today our Miriam Banner will have some good news to ad tomorrow. All down to this forum but I will let her tell you the details. I can't wait to hear myself. Jean.

On this thread I've already expressed my gratitude to all the wonderful people on this forum that have helped me find long lost family and ancestors. I'm sure that there are many other people on here that are truly thankful of all your help even though they do sometimes forget to say thank you. I'm sorry if some of you feel "used" but I think it's more like others take things for granted, not realising how much work and effort is put in by you members to help other people. I would urge you people not to get discouraged by the lack of or the forgetting of gratitude it's just that willingness to help without demanding reward that makes you and this forum THE BEST!

Now you may wonder why I'm not on the forum so much these days but that is because I've used up most of my Birmingham history knowledge and also through the net I've now found world wide many hundreds of old and new cycling friends. Needless to say keeping in touch with all these people is proving to be a full-time job but I do love to drop in here and see what you lot are up to.

Thank you all and I do love you, Graham.

Nice to hear from you again Graham When you coming over to see us again?

I'd love to get over and see you all again and I've even bought the ideal car for long distance travel but these last two years my wife's health has been very unstable making it impossible to get away for more than a day. The cause of her problems seems to have been BP medication that didn't suit her, she is now recovering. Sorry if this is off thread but I feel so rude not replying.

I'd love to get over and see you all again and I've even bought the ideal car for long distance travel but these last two years my wife's health has been very unstable making it impossible to get away for more than a day. The cause of her problems seems to have been BP medication that didn't suit her, she is now recovering. Sorry if this is off thread but I feel so rude not replying.

Thanks for the reply Graham. Hope your wife makes a very quick recovery.
Sorry for wondering off thread.

Just been wondering if I've always said 'thank you' for all the help given freely and enthusiastically by people on this forum. I have always tried to do so, but if I have failed anywhere - a BIG thank you. This forum is successful because people care. They care about our past and are putting in place a great record for the future. OK so there may be a few people who abuse this, but mostly people on here seem to have a pride in their Birmingham connections, enjoy discussing it and want it to be remembered. So the occasional gentle reminder here, in my view, about saying 'thanks' is justified in order to preserve this. By doing so we show that we are not taking for granted the hard work which all the people put in to make this forum work so well. Thanks to all. Viv.

Hello all

I hope my message isn't taken the wrong way by the majority of the wonderful people on here :) It was intended for the very FEW. It just goes to show that the people who have come on here and messaged are the ones who don't need to be reminded about manners - it comes automatically to them, like breathing:) It should come as no surprise therefore that the few it was intended for didn't! Perhaps that's because this thread is of no interest to them unless it pertains to what they need/want to know. Afterall, I believe this forum is about our love of history and sharing and caring for others.

Just in case I have ever forgotten to say thank you for the help I have received:

THANKS to all:)

Suzanne

I can say this now as the person I know has visited the forum obtained freely what they wanted and gone. Well all I can say it is their loss. Jean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back