• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Plaza Handsworth

morris

master brummie
I remember seeing rolloing stones at the plaza in handsworth. I also saw joe brown there he was great on his guitar, he could put it behind his back and play it.i saw lots of other stars there it was a great night club.it must be about 45 to 50 years ago.
Regards reg morris

Hi. I to went to the plaza in handsworth in the 60s, saw many,many groups, unfotunatly the night the Beatles were on my friend and I had gone down stairs for a drink and put some more lippy on and missed them a big regret. We started going Monday nights then when older went Saturday nights. Many happy memories.

Went there once only to see The Ugly's in the early 60's. A great Birmingham band! I traveled from my home in Sussex..

Dave A

• Appreciate
Reactions: DPL
Hi. I to went to the plaza in handsworth in the 60s, saw many,many groups, unfotunatly the night the Beatles were on my friend and I had gone down stairs for a drink and put some more lippy on and missed them a big regret. We started going Monday nights then when older went Saturday nights. Many happy memories.
I saw The Foundations there

Loved it at the Plaza. Went to see The Kinks and Spencer Davis Group and I met my first boyfriend there. Happy memories!

I worked at nights at the Plaza servicing the bar with several mates from about 1966 until it closed. Wages were crap but the fun we had. As I worked there I never had to pay to get in and often went "back stage" to chat with the acts. If a band performed there I met them. Some of the regulars were Robert Plant, (Vocals for The Listen and later Led Zepplin)., Carl Palmer (drums for the King Bees and later Crazy world of Arthur Brown then EL & P). Also Move When the Kinks appeared Ray Davis often slipped down stairs for a chat and a beer. Also met Stevie Wonder plus many other acts like the Long John Baldrey Shows with Rod Sewart Julie Driskel & Reggie Dwight (Elton John) . Also Gino Washington and many others. Oh my wasted youth.

I worked at nights at the Plaza servicing the bar with several mates from about 1966 until it closed. Wages were crap but the fun we had. As I worked there I never had to pay to get in and often went "back stage" to chat with the acts. If a band performed there I met them. Some of the regulars were Robert Plant, (Vocals for The Listen and later Led Zepplin)., Carl Palmer (drums for the King Bees and later Crazy world of Arthur Brown then EL & P). Also Move When the Kinks appeared Ray Davis often slipped down stairs for a chat and a beer. Also met Stevie Wonder plus many other acts like the Long John Baldrey Shows with Rod Sewart Julie Driskel & Reggie Dwight (Elton John) . Also Gino Washington and many others. Oh my wasted youth.
what great memories...thanks for sharing them

lyn

Ah...I started going to the Plaza in 1966 - you must have been working there then!

I remember Carl Palmer when he was drumming with The Craig (same band as the King Bees after they changed their name).
I also remember Robert Plant and his wife coming to see other bands there.

Went to the Plaza many many Saturday nights, 60 to 62. First downstairs for a beer then up to dance. One night the band had a preamp/speaker problem that they could not fix a good friend and I from day release both ME/EE were there. He went onto the stage, pulled me up. We got it going (I think we plugged it in :) ). They did not even say thanks!

Back