• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Playing The Wag

Smudger

master brummie
What excuses did you make up to play the wag or bunk off school? I used to drink salted water to make myself vomit & Mom would say " You`d better stay in bed today if you`re not very well " As soon as Mom left for work, out came the fishing rod & down to Brookvale park for some r & r.

Smudger,

I don't think I ever did, though I hated school. I think if I had had the courage to do so, I would have probably done it every day!

Maurice

I am afraid I was a regular, I used to forge a note from my mom. She always ender her notes with “hoping you will understand”, so I would put this in to add authenticity.

There used to be the ‘wag catcher’, a man who would call at parent’s homes to check up. He would also stop kids in the street and ask why they were not in school too.

Never dreamed of bunking off until I reached the age of 16. Not only had I become a radical teenager, but I took the view that if some friends could leave school by that age, I could do what I liked. After all I was there 'voluntarily'. Although this was not a view shared by the school, I was never punished for not turning up. Very accommodating! Viv.

I only played truant once for an afternoon, my friend and I went to town in our lunch hour to buy material to make drindle? skirts,
we were late getting back to school so decided to go back to my house - which was in view of the school - and my dad was in bed as he was working nights - mom was at work, but I think someone must have tipped her off as she came home early and caught us. We had a right telling off but I can't recall any trouble at school.

I hated school, but I did play the wag once, but I was so scared in case my father was to find out I did not think it was worth it.

Back