• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Plastic Bags

wam

master brummie
SUNP0074.JPG SUNP0081.JPG SUNP0082.JPG SUNP0083.JPG

In the 70s and 80s I bought a lot of vinyl records from various shops around the city and, for some reason, I still have some of the plastic bags they came in. It seems that most of the old record shops had their own designs that they either kept up or changed over the years. Anyway, I photographed some of them and, if you think it's worth while, I'll post them as I work through the various ones. Meanwhile, here are a few that seem significant somehow.
Since this is my first shot at posting pictures since the site change, please excuse me if I get the settings wrong.
If there are any others you'd particularly like to see, I'll see if I can find copies.

Threshold is here because I'd seen it mentioned in other threads. I don't particularly remember it myself but it seemed to matter to a lot of others.

Reddingtons seems to be the one everybody remembers. I remember the regular "half price" sales at weekends and albums stamped "not for resale" as well as the seriously over-priced old stuff that never really seemed to change.

The original Virgin records on that little shop up by the law courts. I don't know how long it was actually there but it moved not long after I first found it. Either that or I just didn't get out that way too often.

OK so this is little more than an address but I put out a bunch of these old bags at a history exhibit around a year ago and this is the one people seem to remember. I seem to remember it as a source for american and prog. rock but I'm sure there was plenty of other stuff there because I have quite a few of these. It could be that it was because it was in the arcade below the civil service canteen in the years I worked for them.

Thanks for sharing these photos Wam. I used to collect carrier bags and over the years I had quite a large collection but a couple of years ago I gave them to a young girl who had just started collecting. Wish I had known that plastic bags were about to disappear!!!!

Yeeahhh.....Cyclops Records in Piccadilly Arcade - I'd totally forgotten about that shop...had some very strange times in there - still got the LP's (Captain Beefheart & Frank Zappa) I bought from them......and Virgin, where you could sit on the beanbags and listen to your album through their headphones - thanks very much for the memories, Wam!

Remember the music shop in Corporation Street. Headphones hanging on a central pillar. Think it was one of the few places you could get 'imported' music, not available elsewhere. The entrance door had a split door and was sometimes a squeeze to get through the half door if the other half was locked. Shop had a musty smell, was cramped and very casual, unlike the glossy music shops of today. Was a bit off the beaten track as the shop was down the bottom end of Corporation Street, but was worth the walk from town. Viv.

I was never entirely able to distinguish Imports from the standard UK issue and, even then, a lot of the imported stuff I have seems to be second hand no matter where it was bought from. I have the odd few albums that must have been imported but I can't always tell whether the shop did so or if someone else did. There are some that came with different labels, packaging and even track listings and others that bear no relation to the UK release (different title/tracks/cover). I know the Beatles were famous for this but I don't have those although I do have some old french versions of Stones albums.

Back