• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Plans for Digbeth/Highgate area

In the 1960s the Council/Drainage Board had given up on the Rea and focussed its attention on developing the Cole along similar lines to recent Rea proposals. Good to see a positive move to tackle opening up the Rea. Viv.

Attachments

• EE6B75C8-1469-4931-9A60-9E89D60B94B6.jpeg
    EE6B75C8-1469-4931-9A60-9E89D60B94B6.jpeg
    484.6 KB · Views: 5
I've always liked this area of Birmingham and we still take a walk there occasionally. I worked in the Custard Factory for some time in the 1980's when Benny Grey owned it. Wonder if he still does? He had big plans for the building (which backs onto the Rea) but I don't think it got the footfall it needed. They had some smashing flea markets there until recently. It would be really good to see the area revived.

Doesn't look like it will affect any buildings to me. The section of the Rea where it passes under Deritend High Street (by the Kennedy Memorial) is mostly open space. Viv.

6CF5D650-5B36-447C-8D70-04F7B03770C8.jpeg

07A736AC-2533-4AC9-97E2-27F62374025A.jpeg

Last edited:
I've always liked this area of Birmingham and we still take a walk there occasionally. I worked in the Custard Factory for some time in the 1980's when Benny Grey owned it. Wonder if he still does? He had big plans for the building (which backs onto the Rea) but I don't think it got the footfall it needed. They had some smashing flea markets there until recently. It would be really good to see the area revived.
What happened to Birds Custard factory, I used to tell my friends my dad owned it! Ernie Bird

I feel a huge wave of blandness heading towards the brick arches and canal walks, and mural scrubbing explosions. This could be the ultimate ruin of real creativity, gentrification with a gently conservative nod to the graffiti, just enough to turn it into a family friendly Peaky Blinders theme park, with spray painted faux sincerity, with coffee shops and gift shops and mid century recycled furniture by well known TV upcycle stars. I do hope it retains whatever is left of it's edgy wonder. I loved the area, and it's decaying unsafe vibe. Artists and creatives were there because no one else wanted the crumbling ruins and it was just about affordable. Now the prices will go up and the hurray Henry's will nibble their sun dried torfu faux caviar vegan canapes and sip their proseco pretending they are avant guard, and the edgy creatives of the future will have to look somewhere else. The old Sunday flee market has gone, making space for desperately needed overpriced executive luxury flats.

We recently drove past the Custard Factory and what an experience that was! The roads are all dug up in preparation for the tramway. We got as far as Moor Street Station and then, due to the 'bus gate' we had to come back. Very difficult for people trying to catch a bus in Digbeth at the moment. Although there's redevelopment they appear to be keeping some of the old buildings instead of 'throwing the baby out with the bathwater'. One thing that will be a step forward will be the connection between New Street Station and the coach depot. It's a long haul up that hill with a suitcase.

A little out of the area but we noticed (on our tour of this building site) that the large car park near the open markets had gone together with many other buildings. Any idea what's happening there?

What a good, detailed Guide, some explanations of Digbeth’s past combined with the new. Thanks Rob. It suggests a vibrant area, certainly more vibrant than when I left Brum. Viv.

Came through Digbeth earlier today, still a state. Lots of workman about not many appearing to be working.

The lack of no one doing anything is probably he explanation for the tram still stopping at Bull St

Picture of the River Rea towards the Custard Factory Digbeth, it is a pity most of the Rea in the central Birmingham/ Digbeth is in culverts and hidden from view, hopefully the development of Digbeth will include the river as a natural feature

Source historicengland.org.uk

Attachments

• A0DE6E7A-8FEE-41A2-B085-128B3EF2C827.jpeg
    A0DE6E7A-8FEE-41A2-B085-128B3EF2C827.jpeg
    300.4 KB · Views: 16
Back