• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pixie Hoods

Di.Poppitt

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Robott said that the winters were colder in our day, I think she is probably right too. When you are cold you cover your head, and ours were covered with the 'pixie hood'. It was made by stitching along the length of a long woolen scarf so that your head went into it, the ends you crossed over and tucked around your body. They were lovely and snug. I had one in red tartan, it matched my red nose. :D

:D Di are you sure we arn't sisters :?: :wink: :) I had a red 'Pixie Hood' that mom knitted and my sister had a Green one, about half way down one of the long scarf bits there was a slit to put the other end through as it crossed over the front to be tied around the back, I also had some Brown leather leggings that had at least 100 buttons down the outside and fitted over the top of my shoes a bit like men’s spats, but they went right up over my knees and don't forget the elastic through your coat sleeves attached to your mittens so that we never lost one. 8) :)

we used to push the end in of a football scarf and stick your head in the pocket it made then wrap the rest of it around the neck that used to keep the cold out

Pom, I almost added the elastic sewn on to the mittens :!: I didn't have the gaiters, but I have a photo of my boy cousin and me at a family wedding, we were dressed almost alike in wool coats, I had a bonnet and he had a helmet and HE GOT THE GAITERS. :D

I remember the balaclavas Dave - Fetching :D 8)

Back